QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

BIO FUEL

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hensoni

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
If you had big enough injectors you could probably run a diesel engine off crude...

I think they're called "ships."   Laughing Having a waterproof keel would help with the wading depth.  Roadholding might be a bit of an issue but I'm sure someone will think of a suitable modification programme! Evil or Very Mad

Ian H

PS Did you know that the Army and Navy's Lynx engines are designed to run on virtually anything that can make it through the injectors?  They don't last very long when run on ship's bunker fuel - about 6 hours, but it beats being left in bandit country without any fuel in the tank
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 14:04    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

denisch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 19:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried running my 3.1 on bio, it was ok with a 50 50 mix but hated a full tank of bio and at an average saving of £10 on half a tank, goin the extra distance for bio (sometimes they run out as well) does'nt seem worth the effort, i just pay up and grimmace.

Denisch
dxmedia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running on a 25% mix of straight veg oil with diesel in a 3.1 at the moment, and drives fine, no problems at all.

01553 845 945
whisky_uk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:31    Post subject: '93 Bighorn 1.3 TD Reply with quote

I've been running a good mix of SVO in my Bighorn (201,000Km) since I bought it last summer with no ill effects at all - not even needed to change the fuel filter in 15k - just poured the veggie oil straight into the tank.

I fill the tank with normal diesel and then top up the tank with up to 40L of cheap SVO as I use it. Even in the winter when I dropped down to 30L I had no problems in the subzero cold when I was in France for a few days.

I've just treated it to a full tank - 60 litres - of V-Diesel (Boston Shell Garage 119.9p/l) and I'm changing the fuel filter this weekend and hopefully that may see an increase from the normal 10km/Ltr (27mpg?).

This summer as the weather warms up I will try up to 75% SVO, and I'll keep you informed.
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get excellent mileage out of a 50:50 mix of DERV and SVO in my 3.0 and haven't had to change my fuel filter either. If you're getting 27mpg out of your 3.1, Whisky, then that's really pretty good. Hard to get better than that without getting noticed by Sally Traffic, I reckon.
thecraig

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

what prices are people paying for SVO and where are you getting it from??
My local tesco has some PURA veg oil at 56p/litre but its never in stock, next one up is 80p i think Confused
Topvaux
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, price and availability are getting to be a problem. I'm told it's possible to place specific orders at Tesco's Customer Service counters in stores. They prefer that, apparently, to having us veggie-burners going in and clearing the shelves at a stroke! I think I'm going to try that next time.
thecraig

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will have to let us know how you get on, I may do the same ......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: