Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sticky solenoid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregMason

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 16:55    Post subject: Sticky solenoid? Reply with quote

Hi all

Got a problem with the wife's 3.1TD Trooper LWB citation on a p plate.

Starter motor spins up nicely (2 new batteries 2 months ago) but cog doesn't engage with the flywheel on 1st, 2nd 3rd etc etc attempt. Seems to work OK-ish if I turn it over again very quickly after the first failed attempt. Been told its the solenoid by a mechanic mate - not throwing back quick enough so motor is already spinning before it reaches the flywheel and so won't engage. Any comments welcomed.

Q.   Any quick fix for this before my wife goes even sparer...(took 7 trys to start this morning)    Do I need to take off the starter and get it dismantled/serviced or will a squirt of WD40 and a "tap" with a hammer fix it as per several other posts.

Thanks in advance
Greg
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 16:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

siweb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem on my mk1 (taking it swimming didn't help Laughing ) I stripped all the starter down and I mean it all, bit's all over the place as it all was very grubby in there, cleaned/grease it all up, but I put a small drop of oil on the solenoid (or a very small amount of grease will do)

Now works like new Wink
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Greg,
           had the same problem with my K plate mk2, took it to an auto spark and had it reconditioned, getting it off the car can be enough of a challenge if like me you dont have all the right tools let alone stripping it down. Hats off to you siweb!
GregMason

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for replies.

Had a crawl under the car and can see what ericd means about getting it off - just a tad tight for swinging a spanner.

Siweb - is stripping the solenoid an easy job? Had a look in the workshop manual and seems to be only 2 bolts holding it to the starter body but the lever and a torsion spring look like they're sitting there ready to ping across the garage floor........ any thoughts. I assume from the exploded diagram in the manual that the solenoid itself is a solid/unstripable unit. I take it you only lube up the "plunger" as the manual calls it (steel core)

Your help appreciated guys
Greg
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done a trooper starter but have done several others over the years including recently replacing the solenoid on my chevy starter.  Its generally not difficult, just be careful when you take it apart and make a good note of the order things go together in.  Avoid grease in starter motors as it tends to get all mixed up with muck and clutch dust.  Best lubricant is powdered graphite, just grind up a pencil on some wet and dry and use that.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
GregMason

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

Thanks for all you help with my starter problem. Took it off, cleaned, greased and pampered it - put it back on and not a bit of difference..............grrrrrrrr

Anyway took it into an autoelectrics dealer today and they fixed it in under 5 minutes for £25 - turns out it was the clutch on the pinion gear. So if anyone has a similar problem hope they find this thread and check the pinion gear.

But on the bright side my starter is cleaned to concours standard Confused

Greg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: