All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.1 TD Bighorn (1994) not cranking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aceideas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 17:37    Post subject: 3.1 TD Bighorn (1994) not cranking Reply with quote

Hi, Newbie here, although I have had my current Bighorn for a little over 8 years now.  Never had any real problems and has been an absolute star! (Until now)
Wife got in the car this morning turned the key and nothing happened!  I got home a couple of hours ago and checked everything out - still nothing.  Can anyone shed any light?
Relevant info:
3.1Td Auto, 120,000miles regularly serviced etc. etc.
Turn the key, all check lights come on OK, Heater light extinguishes and then turn the key to start relay clicks but nothing else
Tried starting in Neutral and Park - Second relay from the front (behind fuse box) clicks but nothing else.
Checked the battery, tried it with a boost start connected, this causes all of the relays to click on and off rapidly and the check lights to flash. But no starting!

As far as I am aware there is no immobiliser unless it was factory fitted but don't know how to check, certainly no alarm.

Any help advice etc. would be gratefully received.
Crying or Very sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 17:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a stuck starter, try giving it a gentleish love tap on the end with a hammer and try again.  Its usually the solenoid that gets stuck so it won't engage.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
aceideas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 20:08    Post subject: Problem solved? Reply with quote

Phil, Thanks for the advice - already tried that, forgot to mention it!
I've been working the problem for the last coup[le of hours and can now start the car when it i sin Neutral.  Didi a lot of manipulating of the gears etc.  Looks as though it is the age old problem of the gear selector being gummed up.  When I get the chance I'll strip and clean it and see if it starts in Park again.

Your suggestion was very much appreciated. Smile
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

In which case its the neutral safety switch thats either knackered or out of alignment.  Not sure where it is on a Trooper I know on my Chevy its under the steering column but then it has a column shifter so I'd guess its somewhere in the selector mechanism, should be easy to get to.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Grandad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

the neutral start/gear position switch is on the side of the transmission looks like a triangle held on with 2 bolts be very carefull when removing as the back is plastic and can be brittle once removed it can be opened cleaned and reassembled with fresh grease watch out for 2 little plates and 2 springs
siweb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 19:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go
[web:28c0b82f91]http://homepage.mac.com/hiroakishiraishi/Garage/PhotoAlbum70.html[/web:28c0b82f91]

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you find the fault, I have the same problem but only every now and again I cleaned the gear box switch as above last year to sort out the reverse lights, but the non starting fault only started about 8 weeks ago, it will be ok for a week then it wont start once then be ok again for a week or so, to start it when this happens I put a lead from the battery to the starter solenoid and it starts every time, so its not the starter, is there anything else to look at is the relay that you mentioned anything to do with the starter system? Dose the starter wire run directly from the ignition switch to the gearbox switch then the starter or is there something in between. Mick
sk799

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a similar problem. Occasionally the car won't start and all I can hear is a relay clicking. With the gear lever in park if I push it towards the dash then the engine will start. Seems like the switch may be slightly out of alignment??
Mick

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 15:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stripped mine down again yesterday and on close inspection found the 2 brass contacts on the arm were slightly worn on the edges flatted them off with fine wet and dry cleaned it all out and re greased it, and re fit and re adjusted so fingers crossed.
Mick

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that didn’t work, still got the fault any other ideas, is any one of the 3 relays on the off side under the bonnet near the bulk head anything to do with the starting system? as the switch on the g/box only has small wires to it so they must trigger a relay somewhere Mick
Mick

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the fault its the immobiliser disconnected and no more intermittent starting just need a new one now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: