All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

halfords fuel filters /no power..stalling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knockknock

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:13    Post subject: halfords fuel filters /no power..stalling Reply with quote

see my previous posts for outline story.
basically:- did an oil change and oil and fuel filter change at around the same time i switched from using a cooking oil/diesel mix to a bio diesel/diesel mix.
losing power and stalling all over the place-been towed home-had to coast to the side of the road to manually prime the fuel filter   to get going again-on the 8 mile journey to work i would have to do this about 5 times!
checked for rusty lines..blew the fuel lines through from the engine side back to the tank--replace some lines.
still kept stalling from starvation.
i did go back to normal diesel for a while which was better but still not right,i thought it was because the normal diesel was probably more viscous in the colder weather and was easier to get through the filter.it still had trouble above 3000rpm.
after putting my finger over the end of the fuel inlet pipe for the pump and not really feeling any suction i decided to buy another fuel pump...£82 second hand.
when i phoned around a couple of local mechanics,one asked me when my troubles started,when i told him about the oil and filters being changed he asked me where i had brought them from, i told him i brought the fuel filter from halfords and he casually stated that this was my problem and that i should fit a proper one.
for the sake of £7 i thought i would give it a go before i spent hundreds getting someone else to fit my fuel pump i had just brought.
i did not buy a genuine one(tight a** i hear you say).but i was assured the one i did by was good quality.
rushed home(after stopping a few times)fitted it on and went for a lovely long drive with no stalling.
i have been running trouble free for over a week now.
the moral of this story is ,you get what you pay for sometimes.
although i dont think the halfords fuel filter was cheaper!
when i put the filters side by side you could see that the new filter had a higher rubber seal on it and looked slightly different inside.
since the new filter went on i am back on 50/50 bio/diesel.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had a problem with the filters Milners supply and as a full filter kit is about a tenner its good value.  They're Boshi brand japanese filters.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a reason that they have the nick name hellfords Wink

01553 845 945
Oakland Rob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 23:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know everyone is different and people have their own reasons for trying to save a few quid but i cannot understand if you really want to look after your motor why people buy cheap filters and cheap oil.
If you buy cheap filters/oil you are asking for trouble, a filter from Halfords or other motor factors is not going to be as good as a genuine part, i know people are going to start saying that they are made in the same country or factory etc and Genuine parts are so much dearer but what would you rather spend your money on, a Genuine filter at maybe at the most £10 more or a new engine/rebuild.
I have ALWAYS used Genuine filters on my cars and a decent quality oil and NEVER have i had an Engine failure.
I know that trying to find a main dealer is sometimes a real pain but it really is worth it and the extra few quid.
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oakland Rob wrote:
I know everyone is different and people have their own reasons for trying to save a few quid but i cannot understand if you really want to look after your motor why people buy cheap filters and cheap oil.
If you buy cheap filters/oil you are asking for trouble, a filter from Halfords or other motor factors is not going to be as good as a genuine part, i know people are going to start saying that they are made in the same country or factory etc and Genuine parts are so much dearer but what would you rather spend your money on, a Genuine filter at maybe at the most £10 more or a new engine/rebuild.
I have ALWAYS used Genuine filters on my cars and a decent quality oil and NEVER have i had an Engine failure.
I know that trying to find a main dealer is sometimes a real pain but it really is worth it and the extra few quid.

i was in the motor trade for quite a few yrs even running 2 accessorie shops with my dad who has been in the motor
trsde for nearly 40 yr and as far as i no motor manufacturers i.e ford/vaux ect ect have never manufactured their own
parts i/e filters brake linnings and such they are bought in from a mass producer who will lable them up to manufacturer's spec e.g motorcraft is just fords branding they dont own the company that make the filters,but because they have that on does it make them any better than the T.J filters we sold in our shops or the powertrain ones i sold when i worked at brown bros.which was there own brand name but i believe were made in the same factory as fords motorcraft....apart from the dealers charging twice the price  Confused  Confused
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i have been making enquiries about getting Vehicross filters and i was gob smacked to find them very very cheap from Isuzu direct - they have a good stock in the UK and very reasonable prices - the fuel filter (trooper petrol) was 11.17 +vat retail and the engine oil filter was 5.61 + vat retail obviously i get trade so thats even cheaper - i shall use genuine as i recon pattern will be either the same or more expensive
cheers
Steve
DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Milners do the oil, fuel and air filters for a tenner.

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
Steam Hound

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

DYLAN wrote:
Milners do the oil, fuel and air filters for a tenner.

great value - my local auto shop wanted £18 just for an air filter  Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: