Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Orrible noise in 2wd!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Orrible noise in 2wd! Reply with quote

Hi all, hope you've enjoyed playing with your troopers/bighorns in the snow - I'll bet all those holier-than'thou car drivers are sick with envy watching us climb snowy hills while they wheel-spin at the bottom Evil or Very Mad Anyroadup, after playing in 4wd Hi and Lo for a couple of days in my Bighorn, I deselected and went back to 2wd, reversing the cursory 3 or 4 yards to disengage as was the norm in my old 2.8. However, out on the road there was a whining, scraping sound as if something was trapped on the disc, accompanied by a bumping like when you drive over a sharp-edged stone or summat. Re-engaging 4wd cured the problem but I'd like to use 2wd for fuel economy and speed. I'm thinking that 4wd hasn't released properly and that the second diff is slightly engaged - hence the bumping feeling like when a gear jumps. Anyone got any ideas or advice? It may be that it'll cure itself over the next few days, but at the moment I'm fearing a lying-down-under-the-Troop-in-the-snow kind of job. All replies gratefully received. Smile
Cheers, Leo.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

ethel610

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had that when we pulled someone off the green outside our house (wont do it again got no thanks for it) and thought we'd done some real damage to car. It was a horrible noise like you describe. Hubby came back after going round block and picked me up and took me, really frightening. Could see £signs going round thinking of expense.

All we did was put it back in 4wd and then back in 2wd drive again and it cured it. Not done it again but have heard that what you have to do.
Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ethel, I kinda figured that's what I'd need to do. As for pulling cars out of snow/mud etc, I went caravanning (I pull a twin-axle 23-footer@ 1.5tonnes loaded) and did my noble gent thing by pulling a huge motor-caravan out of the mud. As soon as I'd taken the tow-rope off his van he scarpered! Still....we'll probably help the next poor soul anyway cos us Trooperites are good people! Wink
ethel610

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

We said the same. We pull a caravan dont even know its on back, ever so easy to get carried away, really good tow cars.

Hope your problem is sorted
Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - problem apears to have sorted itself - I think I panicked a bit at the thought of spending money Embarassed . I had previously selected/deselected 4wd loads of times to no avail, but I've just been out and 2wd is working fine - and nice and quiet too. Thanks for the advice Ethel.
ethel610

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem glad to be of help. My first thought was the cost cos we'd not long had an engine rebuild on a 3.1TD 1993 trooper.
ADB

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar problem going from 2wd to 4wd. Returning to 2wd cures it. I'll give it a go again tonight to see if it still happening but wondered if any technically minded person may be able to explain what the actual problem is.?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: