4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goodvibes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 0:43    Post subject: Overheating Reply with quote

Hi

I am new to this forum and hope I can find some help. I have a Isuzu Trooper 3.1 TD (Automatic), Japanese Import, 1995. The top hose ruptured whilst on the motorway spilling out reddish brown water. I changed the thermostat. After this it was running at mid gauge for a couple of weeks. Then the gauge started going into the red. Though I flushed the radiator out and put in coolant at the right mixture, it was still overheating. I got my mechanic to look at the problem. He took off the bottom hose and stuck a hose pipe in the radiator to flush it out. Now it is fine when idle but seems to be overheating when going uphill (when I kick down on the throttle). It seems ok when driving otherwise. Can anyone advice on what might be happening?

Thanks!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 0:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all welcome  Very Happy

Flushing doesnt work, they tend to clog up and a new rad is the only cure, also the fan maybe faulty and that is really hard to diagnose as its viscose and spins according to water/engine temps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

From personal experience it does seem that a badly blocked rad can be the reason for the burst hose. As Marky said flushing isn't particularly successful.

3 choices:
New Rad
Get Rad company to take tanks off and rod the core
Use Washing Powder and boiling water with the Rad laying on the ground to clear the insides. Does work but can take several hours and repeated goes.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
dxmedia

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

New rad is the way to go IMHO - £117.50 from Milners for the auto rad (they actually supply the auto to manuals too). I fitted one to my monterey the other day (rad was falling apart behind the cowel) and it's rock solid on 1/2 way on the guage.

If the rad water is red / brown - that's rust. It's not had an anti freeze inhibitor and been run on pure water, so the inside of the rad is going to be corroded. Flushing, at best, will only be a temp fix - recore might be cheaper, but milners rads aint expensive.

01553 845 945
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome Very Happy  at last someone around london wav . like above,it is the rad problem. try not to run her with the rad like this because these motors can do head gaskets easy if the tempuatur gets too high mate. i have a 3.1 td auto bighorn on a 94 and she did this 2 months a go. changed the rad and all sorted Wink
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rad had lost all the fins on the lower 1/3 due to corrosion and overheated at high speed (over 70) one new rad and the problem went away.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
goodvibes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 16:53    Post subject: Will check the rad out Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. I will check this out and see if it sorts it out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: