2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Why wont it start?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallcowsheep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 17:43    Post subject: Why wont it start? Reply with quote

I will be so appreciative of any thoughts on this one.  My faithful M reg Duty has suddenly decided merely to "click" when the ignition is turned.  Windows, etc still work.  The click is just in front of the bulkhead on the right hand side.  My husband helped me bump start it and it started it ok but afterwards still no joy.  As you all know, it has two batteries.  Why?  Is it possible one of them is kaput and there isn't enough power to turn engine?  It has been turning over slower but the gauge says it's charging ok.  The click is just like a flat battery click - or loose connection (which there doesn't appear to be).  There are several electrical units in the vicinity but don't know what they do on a diesel. I had a thought it could be the starter motor had come loose again but it is still tight.  I know the sensible thing to say is "Go to a garage" but we haven't done that in years and years. :cry:
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 17:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the starter ?  That click (if it's from the drivers side) is the relay for the starter flipping over. Try tapping the end of the starter away from the gearbox with the wooden end of a lump hammer, if your lucky one of the brushes might have got stuck and a tap will free it off again.

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two batteries are linked in parallel its the winter pack, you are probably right about one being faulty as that would pull the other down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
The two batteries are linked in parallel its the winter pack, you are probably right about one being faulty as that would pull the other down.

It would have to be right down --- what does the voltage guage on the binicle say?  I would have thought under 10v for it not even attempt to spin the starter over?

01553 845 945
Smallcowsheep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks  so much guys, I feared it might be starter motor related - even second hand I spec they're money! Still, always best to know...
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just the solenoid thats stuck on the starter motor, try tapping it as has been suggested.  I had an old triumph dolly that I drove for months with a hammer under the drivers seat, one little clonk and away it would go.  Sometimes you can get away with opening the solenoid up (after removing the starter) cleaning it out and then turning the big copper disk inside it 1/4 of a turn so its got a clean patch to contact.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
the flower man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

dxmedia wrote:
markymoan wrote:

It would have to be right down --- what does the voltage guage on the binicle say?  I would have thought under 10v for it not even attempt to spin the starter over?

defo mine i found would still kick at 8v on the metre in the motor
my money is on the starter motor if the gage in the cab is showing power in the battory
have you tryed bump starting it? jumping it?
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its common practice to start at the batteries and work your way to the starter, clouting a starter if you have knackered batteries wont fix a thing  Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only 2 bolts holding the starter on, (2 17mm nut and bolt), and it's not that bad to take one off. If you can get it off, put it on the floor and put your foot on it, and touch the postive of a set of jump leads onto the large contact not on the soliniod, and the negative to the body of the starter, you'll get a spark, but if it works it should spin up ok.

You should be able to get one reconditioned for about £50??  As marky suggests though, it's worth checking both the batteries independantly (take off the -ve cable from them both) for a voltage reading. If they are both near enough the same (around 12 - 14 volts) then it's probaly either the soliniod or the starter. If one battery is very much lower than the other (3-4 volts difference) then it could well be a bad battery.

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, if it is the batteries the dash lights will go dim or out completley when you turn the key, if the click is a sharp click and the lights stay on then yup starter or starter relay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait a sec mark, did we just agree ???

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Can someone down there just check to see if the grounds frozen??  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

01553 845 945
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose so  Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing how did that feel mark?............see its ok to agree ....................are you ok now? would you like a little cup of tea or somthing? Laughing  Laughing
Smallcowsheep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all heroes, I feel strengthened to start again tomorrow. Will try batteries first then gently whacking starter motor then the unbolting one bolt trick.  Life without my Isuzu is just impossible.  Man up road was pressure washing his 4 x 4 this evening, you'd have to work for hours to get my Isuzu clean... Will get recon starter motor if all else fails, I'm too old and decrepit to carry a club hammer with me nowadays but not yet incapable of installing starter motor, though it's havoc on the nail varnish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: