4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sailing?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other interests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have looked again and its a topper Embarassed
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 22:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sailed for about 10 years... possibly more. Once you got the hang of it Toppers were damn good fun and out on Windermere could bat along at a good rate of knots! The interesting boat our scouts used to own was nicknamed Gillian (as in Taylforth Wink) - a timber dinghy in the "Goblin" class.... faster than a topper in the right conditions but it would also capsize in about 1/3 of the time it took for a Topper to go over  Shocked  Laughing  Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flower man wrote:
loving your boat mate. looks like a lazer, isit? they were fast but you had to be over a surtan weight too sail them and i wasnt heavey enough when i was 10 so couldnt have a go

Yes, its a Laser & they recomend if you sail it with a full rig you should be around 75Kg (optimum racing weight) they do however have replacement sails that are smaller for women & children, i also found out yesterday they do a bigger sail for the heavier sailor Shocked

Cheers

Mark

Mac Challenge 2009 Team 01
the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing  how big is it? are the rules of power to weight the same as cars? or do large people with big sails go faster Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flower man wrote:
Laughing  Laughing  how big is it? are the rules of power to weight the same as cars? or do large people with big sails go faster Very Happy

The size of sail you use is all down to your weight and your skill at sailing, When the wind is hitting your sail and trying to blow you over it is your weight being placed carefully to one side to stop the boat rolling and if your sail is in the correct position this should propell you forwards.
@ 73KG im very close to optimum race weight so use a standard rig, although i struggle with it in heavy winds Embarassed Yesterday while racing i spent more time in the lake than on the boat Rolling Eyes  On my final capsize i lost my rudder, while trying to right the boat in heavy winds it twice rolled over me pushing me under Shocked in the end i was too exhausted to right my boat and needed the help of the saftey boat Embarassed  Embarassed

I have allready located a replacement rudder and will be taking my boat down to Clacton to race on the sea for the first time on saturday (i must be mad) wifes coming to watch and will have camera so i will post a couple of pics if anyones interested Wink

Cheers

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my first time racing in thesea  didnt go so well................................

My first trip out on the sea in my boat, it was very daunting Shocked  Shocked

My sail number is 42758

Any pic you see with that number on the sail is me Shocked  (usually my sail is in the water and cant be seen Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed )

Launching in quite heavy winds.........................

Heading out to join the rest of the fleet.............

Where i get into trouble.......................

And capsize..............................

Oh well, back up and away.....................

The orange sailed boat is one of our club members, i am chasing behind! we were continually last Embarassed  Embarassed
Hes only been sailing 18 months, me less than 3 months...............................

And the last for now, hanging out the boat (hiking) trying to keep the boat level in high winds (and failing Embarassed ) with the saftey boat behind me Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes

Vid to follow Wink

Cheers

Mark

the flower man

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 0:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you get in trouble with the wind slacken your main sheet off and pull the boats bows in to the wind. make shore when you do this you rase the daggerbourd. if you dont and the wind changes directon, the dagger bourd can dig in and throw you off balance Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look in the last pic the boom is in the sea. I was trying to let the sheet out but the flow of sea against the sail was keeping it there! Thats the reason im hanging so far of the boat, just tring to get the boom higher Wink

Cheers

Mark

the flower man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  Laughing  yup its too late when that happens. how tight is your kick strap? when the wind is behind you as it looks like in th photo (over your right hand shoulder) if you pull the tiller arm towards you it will shut some area of the sail down. dont turn too much as you will jibe when the wind catches the other side of the sail. if you play about with the direction of the boat you will find you can pitch and drop the angle of the boat when you like. dropping the angle even for a second will alow you time to get the sheat out without it hitting the water Wink . wind behind your boat sheat out at right angles to the boat. move your weight slightly backwards pull the sheat and hold tight. she will go down in the wind direction fast and remain flat Very Happy
also watch the water ,if you are on a lake this is easyer. you will see the gust approche you ,as a dark area of water comming towards you. after a while you can prodict its strength and how long it will last ect. this will give you a chance to get ready for it. hope that makes sence Question

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that pic im actually sailing upwind, kicker full on with outhaul and down haul as tight as i can get em  Shocked

Im on the lookout for a new sail, think my presnt one is old and out of shape now! Just cant get it flat enough in high winds Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed

Cheers

Mark

the flower man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

just play about with the direction of the boat and if you are having a nightmare, reduce the size of the sail on to the boom untill you get the feel for it Wink . you are going to go in so dont be embarroused about it.EVEYONE GOES IN.  with the wind on your back you will have more control with the sheet and you can regain control easy by sticking the bows of the boat stright in to the wind. she will stop dead. choose which side you have your sail to get the most control possable if that makes sence. give your self scope to be able to releace the wind in the sheet if need be. this will keep you up right Very Happy
the flower man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i was to be honest, when sailing a lazer at the weight you are with full spec sails in the sea you do need a harness to keep her flat. your feet need to be on the side and your body compleatly out of the boat. they are difficalt to keep upright and i think without a harness (there is a propper word for it) you are doing well mate.
this is what you need

Red Oktober
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are called "Trapeze harnesses" ... http://www.sailgb.com/c/sailing_dinghy_trapeze_harnesses/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

the flower man wrote:
if i was to be honest, when sailing a lazer at the weight you are with full spec sails in the sea you do need a harness to keep her flat. your feet need to be on the side and your body compleatly out of the boat. they are difficalt to keep upright and i think without a harness (there is a propper word for it) you are doing well mate.
this is what you need

Is that you?
If so what are you sailing?
All i need is a bit more practise Embarassed  Embarassed  Embarassed
Hoping that santa brings me a nice Lazer XD Kicker and outhaul system this year, might make it a bit more controllable in high winds! Got to get me a new sail first though, and the harness "trapeze" wont fit on a Lazer ATBH im glad! When it goes over i can get over the side and have it back up in less than 30 seconds while staying dry Wink  Not sure i would be fast enough if i had to unclip a harness first  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Cheers

Mark

the flower man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing no thats not me,the harness should be long enough for you to get over the side and right the boat anyway mate. lets face it you are out the boat anyway with one of them on and they have a quick release if you get in trouble Wink . you would need to take the piss if you went over when using one of these so the chances there are for you going in is at a low amount Very Happy
also if you aime for a point to go towards regardless on wind direction,it wil teach you alot about your boat and what are the cans and canots
read the water so you know what is comming next Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Other interests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: