4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Possibly tracking issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 19:58    Post subject: Possibly tracking issue Reply with quote

Hi all.

Noticed that the steering wheel jolts while I drive, feels like a buckled wheel.

Anyone know what this could be?

Tracking?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 19:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

davedgreat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi haggis,
If it's like a knocking coming through the steering wheel, could be track rod end on the steering, you can check this by waggling the suspect side wheel and feel and see the movement on the ball joint on the end of the rod. Or if it's more pronounced on uneven ground it'll be more probably be the bottom ball joint on the suspension arm, you can either compress this with large water pump pliers or try spreading it with a crow bar.
I'd still have a good pull at the wheel with weight on and off,, just to check something silly like wheel nuts or wheel bearing. if you do feel any movement, get a helper to do it while you look for the where the movement is coming from.
davedgreat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, check your tyre for any large bleb on the inside.
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 22:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

could'nt be anything as simple as tyre rebalancing required I suppose?

DWW
Philp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large lumps of mud inside the wheels and tufts of grass etc wrapped around the drive shafts don't help if you've been off road at all.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
spottedhaggis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had tracking checked today and it was way out, apparently the rear was off by a large number, I dont understand the tracking but assume when one side says 5 the other tshould be the same, I watched as he set it up and one side was at 5 the other side was under 1.

The tracking has made the shudder a hell of a lot better, my steering wheel is now non centered and it drifts heavily to the left so I think possibly the wheels also need balanced.

The guy checked the wheels and could find no visible evidence to suggest a break or damage, so I recon balanced wheels will bring it all back up to norm now.
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage that set this up should have centred the wheel, if they haven't they've done a poor job TBH, I'd take it back and ask them to sort it out. My MK 1 pulls to the left in the UK and slightly to the right in Europe, nothing to do with it's politics I hope. I've had a full four wheel alignment done and it was spot on so it just seems to be very camber conscious. The other thing to check is that the torsion bar on one side isn't set differently to the other. Park it on level ground and measure the gap from ground to wheel arch and wheel arch to the top of the tyres on the front and they should be pretty much the same. A friend recently bought a Terrano that pulled horribly and it turned out the front suspension was totally out as someone had obviously worked on it and not set it back up.

My only worry would be that someone set itup this way to dial out the pull after sustaining accident damage.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: