QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Smokin' - Help & advice plz.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
ad is right it is the heat exchanger which ideally should be connected up to keep the temp down other wise they just get hotter and hotter

But if you disconnect the egr valve as most of us on here have, to gain power, mpg & reduce smoke then the heat exchanger has no use as it only seems to cool the exhaust gas that's been recycled? Or am i wrong Rolling Eyes
04, 3.0 citation
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 21:41    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

adehardman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

AD wrote:
eithan h wrote:
ad is right it is the heat exchanger which ideally should be connected up to keep the temp down other wise they just get hotter and hotter

But if you disconnect the egr valve as most of us on here have, to gain power, mpg & reduce smoke then the heat exchanger has no use as it only seems to cool the exhaust gas that's been recycled? Or am i wrong Rolling Eyes
????

Shall I have a go at disconnecting it then?
adehardman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

eithan h wrote:
only if the egr was stuck open

I have just checked the EGR valve, I think it might be stuck up???

When should it be closed?

Its open when the engine's not running.,

Ade Confused
freebiestuff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's open when disconnected, then its knackered.  Best bet is to use the metal gasket as a template and cut two pieces of brass shim (or something thinish) without the big hole in the middle.  Bolt it all back together, one either side of the EGR valve and hey presto, less smoke.  Might not stop it completely though because of the different fuelling strategy between the 3.0 EDC pump and the 2.8 block but I'd guess that if the air flow meter is working correctly, that should compensate the fuelling.

Other thing to check that you've not got a faulty temperature sensor as that could cause overfuelling.

Col
adehardman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 22:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

freebiestuff wrote:
If it's open when disconnected, then its knackered.  Best bet is to use the metal gasket as a template and cut two pieces of brass shim (or something thinish) without the big hole in the middle.  Bolt it all back together, one either side of the EGR valve and hey presto, less smoke.  Might not stop it completely though because of the different fuelling strategy between the 3.0 EDC pump and the 2.8 block but I'd guess that if the air flow meter is working correctly, that should compensate the fuelling.

Other thing to check that you've not got a faulty temperature sensor as that could cause overfuelling.

Col

Thanks Col, did this earlier today and there is a lot less smoke. It only black smokes if you really really give it some pasty...

Is there any point in getting the fuel pump set up checked for its settings.    

Is there a simple check to see if the Air flow meter is working ?

Thanks in advance

A
freebiestuff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't bother with the pump, to get someone to look at it who knows what they're doing is going to cost you some serious cash.  If you can get hold of an oscilloscope, then the signal from the meter should look something like this http://www.picoauto.com/waveforms/Sensors/AirFlowMeter/wave94.html otherwise a good, fast multimeter should show about 4v when the throttle is snapped wide open then released.  I think the wires are the outermost two on the connector but I could be wrong on that one.

Col
jonathan63

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the photos it looks like the 3.0l engine how ever the EGR cooler has been discornected and needs to be refitted it should have water from the cooling system going through it ,my one gets a bit of black smoke not as much as when it used standed diesel it uses shell v power now,, it clears when i use the kick down on the auto box
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: