4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0DT not starting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manniakk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 23:03    Post subject: 3.0DT not starting Reply with quote

First i wish to say that I learned a lot from this forum and I found it very useful.
I have 1998 Vauxhall Monterey 3.0DT. It was running well but suddenly one day it went dead. The engine could not start. We checked it with Tech II and found that the RPCV (rail pressure control valve) was faulty. We had a spare engine and switched the valves and it started well for 1-2weeks. Until last week. Now the engine cranks but fails to start again with the same symptoms. we got another used RPCV and it is the same story. But the car starts with towing and runs only over 1100RPM (if you free the pedal the engine dies again) until the engine warms up, then the car runs well. The strange thing is if you switch to 1st gear the RPM jumps with 100RPM. The only error is VSS sensor but it only occurs if the RPMs are low.

Tomorrow i`m gonna check:
Brake light fuse.
Pull the yellow or white wire to check if the oil pressure sensor is faulty.
Check the crankshaft sensor.

So far we have checked:
no fuel in the oil.
bleeded the fuel filter.
o-ring on the injectors.
oil 5w/30 fully synthetic.
All procedures from the Isuzu Trooper Workshop Manual for "Engine Cranks But Will Not Run", except those with Tech II

Could it be the RPCV again, but im not sure why the car starts with towing but not with the starter...? I went to Isuzu and Vauxhall dealers and they said that they could check the car again in a few weeks but i can`t wait that long. Any help is highly appreciated.

Also can i fit a regular 3.1TD on this chassis and gearbox? I`m too skeptic that this engine is reliable and i`m willing to switch to regular diesel engine.

Thanks in advance to everyone. Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 23:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

manniakk

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

i`m gonna try this too:
Quote:
To check the oil pickup pipe try filling the oil to the max then adding a further two litres (using 5w30 grade fully synthetic). try firing it up ... if it works then the strainer in the sump is blocked/broken and needs replacing. If not - drain the extra oil out and its onto the next on the list.

and clamp the return pipe...
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 0:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

what made you change the rpcv? when looking at the readings on tech2
manniakk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

the tech guy said that it was not working correctly, the first crank it was 90% open, the second was 25%, and it was always between these two values. Is there a was to check this valve without Tech II.
manniakk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

We tried cold start again and while cranking when the engine is like to start something cut of the fuel (or it feels like that)...
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

they normally go to 25% when first started to crank then after about 10-15secs they go to 90%, this is because the ecu knows it hasn't started so it opens the flood gates for the oil pressure to go to the injectors i.e it opens the rpcv a bit more this is all normal.
has your man got a tech2?
manniakk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, the next Monday we will check it with tech 2 in isuzu dealer. Is there something particular that we must be aware of? The car is still not operating well while the engine is cold. The rpms are low, there is no torque. when the temp rises it is ok. We found out that 1 of the heat plug has gone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: