4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

2001 trooper keeps cutting out on me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ginna007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:59    Post subject: 2001 trooper keeps cutting out on me Reply with quote

hi everybody,i have swb 2001 trooper,having starting problems,rac man said could be water in your fuel thats why it keeps cutting out on you and also why its strug megling to start,so i take it to the garage they take the fuel out ,ane clean inside of tank,whilst they were doing this they told me that the tank is corroding in places and it is going in to your fuel thats why it is cutting out on you,so i had a new tank,new filters,and fuel treatment put in to my ne tank.but still its struggles to start,and when she does start,when coming to traffic lights or a crossing she cuts out on me ,can anyone advise
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok a number of things

Firstly dont take it back to the garage that has done all the work!  Unless they said it would fix the problem as they are taking the mick

Firstly get the oil changed it must be 5w30

If that doesn't cure it it could be a iffy throttle Position sensor or crank sensor - similar symptoms to mine - in the end it went away so I am assuming it ended up as a dodgy/loose connection somewhere!

Tim
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it starts do you have throttle response?

also check the oil level is on max then add a further 2 litres as sometimes the strainer for the injectors falls off and it sucks air.
ginna007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi when i start it now it the engine is turning but wont fire if you know what i mean i then leave it for a minute then it fires and starts when going the throttle does die on you and then cuts out i have looked at the old tank and it was corroding were all them pipe out lets are,so at least now i know that is not the problem.
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

when it fires though can you rev it straight away or do you have to wait for a min or two before you can rev it
ginna007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there,ive just gone out to start it,turned the key the engine just kept turning but not firing up,left it a couple of mins tried it again turned it over then it fired but there was no power when i pushed down on the acc pedal,i then kept my foot on the pedal for a min or two then i got acceleration but when i took my foot off the pedal it idled for a few seconds then stalled.
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the oil rail pressure sensor, to test if it is this find the big plug by the dipstick with lots of red wires going into it or it may be just under the corner of the intercooler if you have a euro3 engine. in this plug you should find a white or it might be yellow now with age wire which you need to remove from the plug, or if you really have to snip it but you will need to rejoin it then put the plug back together and see if it starts any better with this wire removed. if it does you need a new sensor
ginna007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there i have took note on what you have said i have rung the rac and they will be with me in ahours time,also whilst i was looking under the bonnet there is a big round filter looking thing shaped like a saucepan the big flexy pipe coming off it was loose ,the big jubilee clip round it,so i have tightened that up and its starts fine,but after a couple of minutes its starts to shudder the engine that is and then stalls
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

you need to do the extra 2 litres of oil trick if it carrys on running then the strainer has fell off
ginna007

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

EITHAN,the rac man thinks also that the oil pressure sensor,will need replacing how much will this cost any ideas,and what you said about the 2 litres of oil,if i put a further 2 litres in and its still running,you said that the strainer has fell,what do you do then ,surely i  need to drain the excess oil off ,then do what thanks....
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your oil pressure sensor has gone they are about 60 plus any fitting charges
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

put the extra oil in and if it runs ok then there is a strainer in the sump that has broken and fell off, this means that it will need to be replaced and isuzu have modified it so this doesn't happen any more as it was a common thing to happen.
it can be done at home but if you want to have a dealer do it then you can drive it with the extra 2 litres of oil in the sump but drive it easy and slowly and not to far.
if however you do the extra 2 litres and it makes no difference then my money is on the rail pressure sensor which as tim said above is about £60 plus vat and fitting and needs to be coded to get the sensor working at it's best
ginna007

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

thans eithan i will let you know how i get on,its going to isuzu garage and i should imagine they will put it on one of those machines.....
Gribble

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:31    Post subject: Garages Reply with quote

Have you rung IM about you Trooper to see if any recalls are due on it ? (see the sticky at the start of this forum  Wink )
They will want the reg and chassis number to check .
If there are it may well help bring down any labour charges  you get as if it is the rail oil pressure sensor its right by the injectors so only a small bit of work to change it  Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: