4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Wont Start? Help!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jay_d11

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:23    Post subject: Wont Start? Help!! Reply with quote

Hi everyone, newbie here  Smile  Iv been trawling thru the past post looking for simaler problems to my own, but to be honest im lost!! any help would be great please.
I just purchased a 1996 Isuzu Bighorn 3.1TD Automatic 2 days ago. I took my mechanic friend to check it all out and he very happy with it... however, it didnt start 1st time and the seller gave us a jump and it was fine (we put this down to it lying in her drive and not driven in a few weeks) Anyway, after a 25mile drive home, engine off.. waited a few minutes and it started 1st time. Ok about 12 hours later, same again and it started 1st time. Ok, about another 8 hours and it started fine again.... however, I took it a 3mile drive to my friends house, 45min later when I came back out it wouldnt start? I got a jump start and that was fine, but when I got back home I turned the engine off... waited about 10 seconds, tried starting it and there was nothing at all... just a clicking noise? My headlights, radio, windows are all fine... any ideas?

Phew... sorry if thats a bit heavy reading folks!!  Laughing

Cheers,

Johnboy
Glasgow
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

andrewthomas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get the battery or both tested for holding there charge. Most battery suppliers got a discharge unit to test for this.good luck
Jay_d11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks buddy, il take them 2moz and hopefully get it sorted!

ta
Jay_d11

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again, any help on this would be great, its driving me mental!!!!

I purchased 1 new battery for my bighorn and got the other fully charged, both fine. Its been running fine for the last week but 2nite I went to start it up and all im getting is a constant clicking noise!?? When it was driving it looked like the dial was moving up so I guess the altenator is ok?? Could I have a drain? Is there an obvious drain I should know about on these cars? Is there anything im not seeing?

Thanks guys.

p.s-anybody know a good auto-electrician in Glasgow?
rallymarshall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be the starter is sticking

65 vauxhall mokka 1.6cdti 4x4 se
66 vauxhall corsa vxr
Gribble

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inhibitor switch for the auto box playing up ?
Jay_d11

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys. Im not sure if it is the starter, Im sure its a battery problem... when I went to start it 2nite it felt like the headlights were loseing power? And the car starts fine with a jump start ( does that rule out the starter )

Also... Iv no idea what a Inhibitor switch for the auto box is?? Where would I find this?

Thanks again.
AD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the voltmeter reading when running?
04, 3.0 citation
andrewthomas

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for a charging problem,a relay or alternator. If you have a battery charger,give a good charge,if then it starts. Check the voltmeter in dash,mine is 13volts just over. Below that indicates not much being put back in when driving with heater and lights on. Good luck.
Gribble

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a little switch that stops you starting up if the cars in drive ,lives under the transmission lever cover. Hold the key on start when you get the click and wiggle the gearlever back and foreward a bit, might go .

Got an idear for you  Smile Charge both your batterys up fully then take the earth lead off the older  one  and drive round a bit normally and see if you get the click no start .
If you do put the earth lead on and see wot appens .If it starts up fine then you have a charging/drain problem if it clicks you have a relay or starter fault .Putting a fresh batt on is like having a jump start  Smile

Easy alternator test ; start and run for ten mins then put all electrics on ,main beam ,seats ,heater ,aircon ,back defogger the works !
Watch the volt gauge -  under 12v then   its possibly an  alternator fault. Sad

Put the revs up to 1800 volts should rise a bit if not again its alternator fault poss. Sad

Saying 'possibly'as there are loads of small things that a mechanic sees in one look under the bonnet that could cause your fault
like; are the belts tight  ?,lose batt terminals ,rusty earth point ,what does it sound like when being cranked over,serviced when last etc .
Problem is I,being old forget these bits when doing a post !  Wink
AD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gribble wrote:
Got an idear for you  Smile Charge both your batterys up fully then take the earth lead off the older  one  and drive round a bit normally and see if you get the click no start .
If you do put the earth lead on and see wot appens .If it starts up fine then you have a charging/drain problem if it clicks you have a relay or starter fault .Putting a fresh batt on is like having a jump start  Smile

I could be wrong but i think the Bighorn's only have one battery.
04, 3.0 citation
Gribble

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly but jad 11 says he got one new one and the other charged up ? Carrying the old one round with him ?  Shocked

Think its only UK non winter extra pack  cars that have 1 batt all the japanese  market spec imports I have seen have 2.

But if it is one batt only then would prove its alternator not charging as it goes with a jump every time ?  Smile
andrewthomas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like gribble said.it will jump start fine. So its output on charging has gone down, or the other battery is going down overnite. Hence no start the original fault.
albion

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like exactly the problem I had one time. Convinced myself it was the alternator and used up two years worth of expletives getting the b'stard thing off...only to find that it was the batteries - one had been okay but one was shorted which made the alternator run flat out trying to charge a dead battery. Ideally you should change both batteries - problem solved on mine and that was years ago.

Odd thing with mine is that suddenly it won't start! Immobiliser prob, I think - turns over great but no ignition - or maybe the shut-off on the injector pump. Werd - any ideas anyone?

Ta!

Michael.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: