4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Oil Filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niceone

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 20:05    Post subject: Oil Filter Reply with quote

I know there must be one somewhere, but where exactly on a 92 3.1L Bighorn? I have read the comments about it being difficult but still can't spot it. I've even got a 3 legged remover ready to do the job.

Many Thanks
Dave Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 20:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

coyletangles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to admit it but Im one of those who find it difficult,I can undcrew the filter no problem, its squeezing the used [ and the new ] filter between the propshaft and suspension [ I think thats what it is ] arm I find difficult obviously Im doing somthing wrong

Bryan
CreationBlue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its at the back right down at the bottom Laughing
Niceone

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much. I had been looking in the engine bay, as that seemed logical. The suspension bit is a torsion bar that actually does the springgy bit by being twisted. As previously used on Beetles (proper ones) and moggy 1000's, to name but 2.
Laughing
coyletangles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments,I suppose I deserved it! it is a torsion bar, you can tell I know a lot about motors! It dosnt stop me thinking that the trooper is one the best towing vechile Ive ever come across I just need to learn how squeeze the oil filter between the front propshaft and the torsion
bar

cheers Bryan Embarassed
davedgreat

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I really don't see what the problem is?
I use a strap wrench on my 1/2" extension bar, then once undone,
I take take filter far back until it drops out, how hard is that? Laughing
shinz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filter on these early 3.1s is quite a fat one & is a tight squeeze as you've found out. There is some variation in diameters between different manufacturers of aftermarket filters & 5mm difference in diameter would make the job easier.
Does anyone have the make & model number of a filter that fits easily thru the available space ?
From about my vintage on some of these came with a more expensive but longer & narrower filter which makes it much easier.
I put mine up on blocks to give me some clearence underneath, & go in from behind the right front wheel. I use a three arm filter wrench on a long extension as Dave has said, pack some rags in on top of the cross member to soak up any spilt oil, punch a hole in the lowest part of the filter with a screw driver to let some oil drain, undo it a turn to let the air in to drain some more, then when it has largely drained unscrew it quickly, slide it back toward the rear of the torsion bar where there is some more clearance & away I go. Easy after that. Very Happy Very Happy
HTH, Cheers, Steve
jon willy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Shinz
The best way as you say is to approach the filter from the gear box end of the engine with the car either on jacks or ramps ... I prefer a jack as its amazing how much more comes out due to the drain plug being on the side of the sump and lifting via the front axle diff cocks it to that side......... prior to loosening off I get a piece of cardboard bend it to 'V' shape and make sure its long enough to slide under the full length of the filter cannister up to the housing and then using a strap type constrictor that fits on a socket set extension bar release the cannister ....... the oil flows down the cardboard straight in to your waste oil container......no oil accumulates on the cross member to drip long after the filter change and the cardboard also aids an almost direct route out for the filter.

FRAM PH5190

Jon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: