Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Transfer Box Problems Help!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:57    Post subject: Transfer Box Problems Help!!! Reply with quote

Have just bought a 1999 SWB 3.0d Citation. Stupidly I did not test it in 4WD. When engaged in high ratio on the road in dry conditions it feels like the transfer box keeps jumping out of gear and then back in again (I know I should not have put it in in the dry but hit the button by mistake). It also refused to come out of 4WD but I have since discovered that if you turn the wheel sharply once it will come out. The Isuzu dealer locally says under no circumstances should this vehicle ever go in to 4WD on the road in the dry and it seems to be fine in low ratio or on the soft. Do I need a new transfer box??? Help please. Also I bought an Isuzu because I had heard they where bullet proof and on reading your pages have discovered that the 3.0D does not have a good reputation. Mine has done 80k with full history and seems good should I worry?? Confused Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its more that IF an Isuzu is going to have an engine problem it is more likely to be the 3.0. If that engine was in a Land Rover, it would be the best engine they had!

Don't know anything about your type of four wheel engagement system, sorry.
pikeyboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the transfer box but i think it's fair to say that on these type of forums we only hear about the ones that go wrong not the ones which have doen many thousands of trouble free miles. i also assume that engine longevity has a lot to do with how the vehice is driven, serviced and the amount of work it does. I mean all the discoveries that i looked at before buying my trooper were nails. then you look how they get driven, hammered up and down the M1 at 95mph flat out by people that think they are still driving a car and it is obvious why they all have transmissions problems etc etc and drive like dogs.

This is probarbly going to get a few adverse reactions so it's only my opinion, sorry if you dont like it, these comments arent restricted to just discos eithier.
Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to be associated with the comments of the last speaker please! 15 years in th motor trade & it never ceased tio amaze me how people treted thier cars. 'Punters' would wonder why thier low mileage car is worthless - and they cannot find the service book ('must be at the garage still') and it looks like its done the Camel trophy - twice.

Look after it & drive it with respect & mechanical appreciation & it repays you a thousand times.[/list]
Mullins

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To date i have not once broken down, did 88000 miles in the last one, and 10000 so far in this one, both 1998 models.
My next car will also be a trooper!!

My previous quote on another post. I tow on a regulay basis, and have a boot FULL of tools all year around and a generator (carpenter) and go up and down the M3 90 mile round trip 5 days a week, no problems, then onto a muddy building site when there.
Both Troopers have been uk models, and both have full Isuzu service, I wouldnt drean of anything else, £150 for a full service reaps its rewards, and apart from break pads, nothing has needed to be replaced.
Just look at the middle east news reports, apart from the toyotas, the trooper is next in line, these people know what lasts and what doesnt.
I have also seen a few ambulance Troopers now, would be interesting as to why they chose that over the Range Rover.
Yoshi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

People think nothing of holding a Land Rover flat out for hours on the motorway,every day,with minimal maintenance,for years.They then slate them when a head gasket goes at 70,000 miles.They're built to work hard over bad terrain,not hold 90 on the M6...My Trooper does that with ease,but off road I could get a Defender where the Trooper wont go.Horses for courses...
Neil P

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:12    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for everyones positive feedback. Used to own a disco 3.9 V8 which was a great car but I used it a lot for towing a two ton boat and got fed up with needing to be followed by a petrol tanker! I bought the Trooper 3.0 because it has a decent amount of horses for towing and will make sure I keep up the servicing. The transfer box appears fine I have had it explained in detail by the local agent to never put it in 4WD on the road again unless in snow. 8) 8) 8)
Andyally

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 18:39    Post subject: Transfer Box Problems? Reply with quote

The reason you are having trouble with your Trooper in 4WD on dry roads is because of the lack of a central diff.

Unlike a Disco or Defender the Trooper is part-time 4WD and as such is not fitted with a central diff. When your Trooper is in 4WD there MUST be slip between the front and rear axles. This is because when you turn the steering wheel the F\R axles are travelling at different speeds. In effect the mud, snow or sand that you are driving on acts as a central diff allowing the axles to turn at the same speed.

When in 4WD your F\R axles are basically locked together and must rotate at the same speed, this is good for off-road performance as you have to spin a wheel on each axle before you loose forward motion.

When you are in 4WD on sticky tarmac the grip of the tyres prevents this slippage and the result is your transfer box being tied in a Knot!

I guess that there is absolutly nothing wrong with your Trooper. Just save the 4WD action for the mud!!

My Trooper is the best 4x4 I've ever owned, just keep it properly maintained and enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> General technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: