4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

How many litres of engine oil for 4JB1 1990 2.8TD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dunsong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 13:35    Post subject: How many litres of engine oil for 4JB1 1990 2.8TD? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have tried to do servicing at several different workshops. Most of them says that the engine oil level must not be above the maximum level (at the engine oil level indicator).

During servicing, the mechanic always fill the oil filter at first than install it at the engine.

Now, I would like to ask you, for my engine, what is the maximum litres required? and what would be the minimum?

I've ask many workshops, I got many different answers: it is between 3.5l to 7l.

What is the average litres anyway?

rgds.
Ray.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 13:35    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

shinz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dunsong, my 3.1 takes 6 litres with filter. The filter on a 3.1 is normally bigger than the ones on the 2.8 but otherwise these engines run the same block & share most vital dimensions with the 3.1 so I reckon you'll want about 5.5litres. Hoepfully someone else can help out on this one.
Steve
dunsong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks steve.

hopefully there's someone out there helping me.

rgds.
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely over 5 litres, I found my 2.8 took closer to 6 with a filter change.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Philp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and its not possible to fill the filter before you put it on as its mounted with the open end downwards so it would be very messy if you tried it.  Its a bit hard to get to I used an oil filter strap type wrench on a very long extension to undo itand you need a long thin arm to refit the new one.  Theres also a drain bolt next to the filter that should be removed, the remaining oil will then drain out all over the exhaust (nice design feature!) there are three little rubber O rings that should come with the filter that will fit on the drain plug and need to be replaced each time.  The best way to reach this is through the wheelarch under the rubber flap that you will find in there and again a long extension will help as will a wobble drive or universal joint as theres a couiple of brake pipes located just in the wrong place to get a straight shot at it (who designs these things eh!).  Replace the filter and drain plug (and sump plug) refill to the line, fire the engine up briefly until the oil pressure light goes off, check the level and top up as neccesary.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Tourist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 4JB1-T 2.8 liters before. Without any filter change, it is less than 5 liter (couldn't quite remember.....probably around 4.5 or 4.8 liter). With filter change, it is 5 liter. You are definitely asking for trouble if you fill 7 liters.

Doing the above, you oil dipstick will show somewhere in the middle or the 2 holes. And whatever you do, you shouldn't fill oil that goes above the maximum hole on the dipstick. The top maximum hole is there for a purpose. If any mechanic should dispute that, ask them to pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "maximum".

On your mechanic. He is a very good mechanic to fill some oil into your oil filter before changing so you should hold on to him.
dunsong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tourist wrote:
I had a 4JB1-T 2.8 liters before. Without any filter change, it is less than 5 liter (couldn't quite remember.....probably around 4.5 or 4.8 liter). With filter change, it is 5 liter. You are definitely asking for trouble if you fill 7 liters.

Doing the above, you oil dipstick will show somewhere in the middle or the 2 holes. And whatever you do, you shouldn't fill oil that goes above the maximum hole on the dipstick. The top maximum hole is there for a purpose. If any mechanic should dispute that, ask them to pick up a dictionary and look up the meaning of the word "maximum".

On your mechanic. He is a very good mechanic to fill some oil into your oil filter before changing so you should hold on to him.

Thanks Tourist... thanks a lot.

what could happend if we fill the oil more than the maximum level then?
:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 14:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putts pressure on the head gasket and other parts. If you find you have over filled it just let a bit out the bottom Wink
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

dunsong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Mat...
Tourist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunsong wrote:

Thanks Tourist... thanks a lot.

what could happend if we fill the oil more than the maximum level then?

If oil level gets too high, the downward moving piston will churn the oil into a foam. And foam do not lubricate as well as liquid oil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: