2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New tyres loosing air

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fifth4x4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 21:54    Post subject: New tyres loosing air Reply with quote

Two days ago I got a set of colway ats. Checked pressures and went out yesterday. At lunchtime I noticed the front tyre was looking a bit flat. It had lost quite a bit of air. Put air in and came home. Checked it last night and it was ok. checked this morning and it had lost a little air. What I failed to notice was the back tyre had lost a lot of air. re inflated them and they were ok till this evening when they had lost a little air again. Have taken them off and thoroughly checked for any sign of punctures and can't see anything.
My question is this;will they settle?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 21:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlikely, I'd whip them off, get some soapy water, lay them down and run a little around the tyre/rim joint and see if it bubbles, same with the valve area. Did they fit new valves when they were fitted? Also are they steels or alloys? It could be the rim needs a clean up as they either have rust or corrosion stopping the tyre seating properly, they may need new valves (I have had bad new valves before) or the may just need taking off and reseating, they shouldn't leak if they've been fitted properly. In rare cases alloy wheels can become porous if these are new to you rims it could be why the previous owner got rid of them.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Dafydd Wynn Williams
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:53    Post subject: As posted Reply with quote

In addittion to Phils practical suggestions, something I have come accross with alloy wheels (the metal of which is relatively soft) is that they are easily scored/scratched/gouged on the sealing face if someone has used a tyre lever in changing tyres. So a carefull inspection and feel around might be productive, with dextrous use of a fine file if neccessary.

Tyres on an alloy rim must always be changed on a tyre-fitters machine, and with care.

Dafydd W.W.
fifth4x4

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are steels and in good condition. No problems with the tyres that came off the rims. I went back to the place I got the tyres today and they took them off and re-did them. Hopefully they will be ok. My neighbour lent me one of those plug in the cigarette lighter tyre inflator thingies and found it so usefull I'm off out to get one for myself.
Philp

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they're great, I've had one for a little while now after my old footpump blew up after many years of hard wear, it's a lot easier on the leg muscles thats for sure!

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jon willy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many tyre fitting companies now use silicone sealant as a matter of course .... the self same stuff used in the building trade.

Jon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: