All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

new bighorn owner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 22:07    Post subject: new bighorn owner Reply with quote

hi all just got a 3.1td bighorn just want to know what there like for towing your caravan & will it pull better than a 2.5 mitsubishi i expect low fuel figures with it being auto but hoping it makes life easy and more relaxed on long journeys
                                                                              cheers docker
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 22:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

JohnW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Docker not sure about engine on 3.1 but I tow 1800Kg caravan with my 3.0 like a dream, car is always securely planted on road and never felt nervous any small sways seem to settle without affecting car too much. I dont know moch about Mitsubishi's but we did run a pick upy type thing at work for a bit I think it was called a four life and I think that was a 2.5, we use it for moving generaters fuel bowsers etc, sorry to say it was hopeless no low down guts no steering lock, resulted in lots of clutch slipping and lots of shunting, Isuzu much better. Smile
docker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks for geting back to me i have an l200 mitsi pick up stuck on my drive with a blown moter thats why i have got the old big horn to run while i get it fi xed to sell it  as there was a lot of black smoke when towing or driving hard plus it drinks like a fish have been told isuzu will be a bit better i allready know its a lot more comfy
siweb

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bighorn will/should pull ok as long as the tyres are not oversized form the stock size, however problems of them not going into overdrive after a decent hill climb are common, due to gearbox temp rising. But do go back into overdrive after a mile or so on the flat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

will a bigger oil cooler help with towing or is it just a thing with autos & has any one fitted one
Philp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

A decent transmisson cooler should help, at the same time it's probably a good idea to get a transmission temp gauge installed which can be put inline with the cooler.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
ericd
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't comment on the auto box performance, but I'm now on my second 3.1 pulling a double axle Swift, 210K on first model, 232K on current one, never had any problems finding power even with 'van fully loaded. Sure I've had to drop down the gears on steep inclines, I mostly tour in the Highlands, but look after the chassis and the 3.1 will serve you well!

'99 3.0

Rule Number 1 " I know enough to know what I don't know "
siweb

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

docker wrote:
will a bigger oil cooler help with towing or is it just a thing with autos & has any one fitted one

I've installed an extra cooler and found it to be a great help.. if anything I think a bigger one or may be a fan fitted on it would be even better..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trawling fleabay for electric fans recently Si and I reckon a jag A/C fan would just fit nicely on that.  A fan is a great idea as you need the cooler most when airflow is at a premium i.ie. labouring uphill or at slow speed.  You could just stick it on a switch on the dash and turn it on when needed.

siweb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
You could just stick it on a switch on the dash and turn it on when needed.
Wink  thats thee idea m8, however i've not been out with the mk1 this year, well once with pete b back in january Rolling Eyes

jag A/C fan you say hmmm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a fan from a Volvo 850 T5 to put on the chevy, its a whopper at about 17"and only just fits on the rad so it should pull way more air than the little four bladed 12incher on there now.  Just been out today and bought some ally sheet to make a proper shroud to mount it on ands will be investing in a proper thermostatic control for it rather than the keep your eye on the tempo gauage and switch it on by hand it currently employs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: