4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

fist time towing with the big horn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
docker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 20:45    Post subject: fist time towing with the big horn Reply with quote

hi this friday i will be towing my van down to the new forest fist time with an automatic just want to know if there is anything i should check befor i set off

what i have done so far only had it a few weeks

oil & filter change

fuel filter

air filter

flushed rad filled with new anti freeze

fitted new temp sender  the old one didnt work

about to fit twin electric fans this week

had secondary electrics fitted for the caravan

anything else i should check i am a bit concernd due to it being an auto

oh yea green flag rescue as well
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one, if the temp goes over half its getting too hot, should be fine though  Cool

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that will keep my eye on it thats how i blew the mitsi up andd boild it dry
Wirdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 17:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few auto cars and unless you know for certain it's been done recently, I've always changed the autobox fluid.

Just for peace of mind - as the fluid is worked harder when towing.
docker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

thnaks for that its on my list of jobs to do but i wont have time before friday just fitted twin fans and took the viscous off.also banked the egr valve today in the hope of a bit better economy going to change the oil again with good stuff as i put tesco oil in last week just to use as a flusher .i just hope the new fans do the job as i got a long way to go dont no what fuel consumption to expect though or how to use the auto box for the best results
Wirdy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 22:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the general opinion is that an auto trooper makes a nicer / smoother tow car than a manual one.

Saying that, mines a manual and tows lovely - it pulls away with my 1800kg caravan with minimal clutch at just over tickover, very smoothly.
JohnW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be interested to see how you get on I have had 3.0 manuals for 5or6 years now and been happy have recently got 3.0 auto and have used it a couple of times lastly being 4 weeks in France around 3000 miles but found it tended to swap down with slightest touch of throttle and reluctant to upchange again, however did gat engine warning light that turned out to be throttle body sensor, I'm away next week as well so see how I go with different throttle body. Smile
docker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi  i have  a luner lexon eb its fairly light weight  1170 i think but its all the rest of the gear i take 2 dogs only cockers tool box just fits in between the rear wheel arches .the van is in storage so everything seems to go in the truck but will keep an eye on everything and let you know how it performs/ fuel and power wise
JohnW

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi my van is 6 berth Adria over 1200 Kgs kerb weight don't know it is loaded hann't checked suppose I should with these road side checks but max laden is 1800Kgs ish don't think I'll be over that but wife and kids do seem to think a big box on wheels is some sort of challenge and try to fill it.
So I would think you'll be fine if not dogs out front and shout mush, there again if their like mine will just look stupid at you and sit probably. Wink
Hope you have a good one we're heading north so you shouldn't get rain I have a monoply on that I think. Confused
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnW wrote:
Hi my van is 6 berth Adria over 1200 Kgs kerb weight don't know it is loaded hann't checked suppose I should with these road side checks but max laden is 1800Kgs ish don't think I'll be over that but wife and kids do seem to think a big box on wheels is some sort of challenge and try to fill it.
So I would think you'll be fine if not dogs out front and shout mush, there again if their like mine will just look stupid at you and sit probably. Wink
Hope you have a good one we're heading north so you shouldn't get rain I have a monoply on that I think. Confused

You'll be over loading your adria if you stick 600KGs of stuff in it!  - You usually find you have about 250 KGs on User payload
docker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi john hope you have a good time up there its somewhere i have never stayed but will give it a try some time It makes me wonder after all these trucks were designed to be worked hard off road towing heavy stuff about but so many issues on auuto boxes not working right or over heating or not going into over drive after a long hill .it could be vehicle age or lack of maintanance over the years anyhow big day friday think i have checked everything out not had the truck long i like to get to know a vehicle first before i go a long way in it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: