2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Four wheel drive indicator light flashes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
styler4077

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 0:51    Post subject: Four wheel drive indicator light flashes? Reply with quote

Hi all,

Coming home tonight and having used 4L, 4WD and 2WD in the snow on a 65mile round trip the system refused to go from 2WD to 4WD on the last mile home. The Check 4WD light came on and is now always on (Thought it said "Check Trans" on my truck) while the four wheel drive indicator light flashes. If I press 4L it lights up and then goes off, the 4L light that is. 2WD is all I have but pressing 2WD does not clear the lights.

Do I need a new selector motor? read this in one of the articals on this forum or could it be anything else?

Changes between 2WD and 4WD have been taking longer than I thought they used too.

2004 Rodeo 3ltr Denver Auto.

Thanks for any help
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 0:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies if this sounds basic... but are you using the buttons in the right order? It wont allow you to shift from 4L to 2H in one go... you have to go thru 4L first.
styler4077

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sure I am.
4L only when I am stopped and already in 4WD. I have maybe used 4L 5 times in 4 years.
The problem came when trying to change from 2WD to 4WD the light "Check 4WD" came on and the 4WD lamp flashes.
I had switched from 2WD to 4WD and back around 12 times that night with out a problem

Isuzu have sent me a 6 page PDF on how to reset the "Check 4WD" light after removing the driver seat and wiring up two test wires to the transmittion ECU under the seat. Looks as if the transmition ECU can get a bit confused and put up a warning light and force 2WD if (as I think I did) switch on the move from 2WD to 4WD whilist not in a straight line (and possibly pressing the 4L button at the same time. (well it was dark and I was trying to sort out the slidinf)
The rear wheels were spinning at a fair rate of knots. It's called graceful sliding Smile

Any way the "Check 4WD" is now on all the time even after disconecting the battery and putting the terminals together for 15 minutes.
My ODBC connector software shows no ECU errors, Isuzu later explained that no transmittion error codes are logged in the main ECU.

Will have a go tomorrow with the reset "Check 4WD" documentation.

Has no one had this before?

styler4077
eithan h

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite common and most probably the motor on the transfer box but you should run through the tests for checking the wiring first, if they are ok then i'd change the motor
Yabbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here and check out the topics under "Check 4WD Light stays on", etc.
Seems to be common.You should be able to fix by comparing your issue to similar symptoms.
Good Luck.

http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?showforum=61
styler4077

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed,

Made two wires up as per instruction and with the Isuzu engineer shorted out the links. Still cost me £60...
This reset the "Check 4WD" light and cleared down the system and it's memory.
The engineer made a comment that the newer models can be rest via the three buttons on the dash with out wires, so they must have this issue and made a change however I do not know the sequence.
He also commented that as I was in a slide at the time, the front wheels were not straight, the rear wheels were spinning and I may have pressed the 4WD and 4L at the same time (More than lightly). Then the system may have locked out as it saw a few possible errors......

Anyway all the options on 2WD and 4WD now work. I have the cables, knowledge and the instructions to fix it myself next time Smile

Happy Christmas
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the newer one you hold all 3 buttons down for about 20 secs and that resets it, so much easier!!
styler4077

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what year did it change?

Not that I'm bothered I won't be getting another.....
As a tax break it was great, not so good when "Gordon" put it up from £500 to £3,000 taxable.
Even greater now I tell them I never use it privatly so it tax free Smile

In all honesty I should have got a midi van I.E. Merc Vito and spec'ed it up.
4WD would be missing but it would carry bigger loads. been a better ride but knot tow as much as the Rodeo.

It's been a good experience all in all..
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 23:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

the newest shape so 08 onwards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Rodeo General Technical Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: