All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ICE upgrade - Bighorn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArgyBargy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 16:22    Post subject: ICE upgrade - Bighorn Reply with quote

Just fitted some new ICE stuff to the Bighorn. It's a 94 mark 2, the radio packed in which prompted the mods. Thought you might be interested to know how it went.

New Aiwa head unit fitted (discontinued model from Halfords with ipod/aux socket on the front, £100 down from £200, 4x50W) this was a bit of a game, as aftermarket head units have different plugs to Isuzus.... Bought an AUTOLEADS converter harness for a UK Trooper ref. PC2-27-4 (www.armourauto.com). It needed a bit of tweaking to get the earth included, but they had a good technical email service. It doesn't help when the Bighorns cable labelling is in Japanese! All works inc. the power aerial. Fitting the Aiwa into the existing Alpine brackets needed holes drilling to fit in the same way as standard, but pretty straightforward if a bit fiddly.

Upgraded the rear speakers to Sony 4" in existing mounts. Also upgraded front door speakers to Fusion componant speakers. Make sure you take your old speakers to the shop with you as the decision will not be not based on what sounded best, but what fits in the existing holes. There is a BIG difference in diameter/depth between speakers of the same size. Only the Fusions came close for the front. The old front door speakers were stamped "10W, Max 20W" the new ones are stamped 140W, so plently of headroom.
One lucky find was that my (Lotus) front doors are pre-wired for tweeters to be fitted to the triangular panel behind the door mirrors. Pull these off and there is a wire allready and waiting.

Total cost for the speakers was around £100, so all up it cost not a lot. One other point is that the Fusions did not sound too good on the shop wall display. They sounded 10 times better once installed properly. This was by no means a 'custom install' to Hi Fi standards but the difference in sound quality between a 10 year old nacked system and some half decent componants is massive. Well worth the effort, and I can plug my ipod in as well.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 16:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Mightyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me more about the speakers, i have just fitted a blaupunkt mp35 and the speakes wont cope with the base. was going to get some this weekend that i could drop straight in
Mightyjoe

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say mine already has JVC tweeters fitted
ArgyBargy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fusion speakers were also from Halfords and cost £69.99. Sorry - packaging binned so I don't have the codes. Halfords till receipt says:

'3 788109
SPEAKERS £69.99"

The door speaker is exactly the same size as the Bighorns original speaker.
Fix using the supplied speaker screws and not the Isuzu ones as they are too fat and deformed the cones slightly.
Check your speaker size against any speakers you buy just in case!

They include a small tweeter. No crossover, tweeter wires off back of door speaker.

Bass is pretty impressive for a smallish speaker.
Hope this helps
Mightyjoe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found them on the site, i think the front ones have been done on mine so i will get the sonys this weekend and see how they are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: