All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

The AA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Breakdown / Recovery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 20:28    Post subject: The AA Reply with quote

Well what an experience we had on Sunday 20th Dec.

Went to Pea Farm and clutch went, with some help off Muckymick (Cheers Mick) and a bit of limping nearly got home but not quite, finallt stopped on A1 about 5 miles short of A690 Turn Off and 8 miles from home Sad .

Pulled onto hard shoulder and rang AA(I have relay/homestart through my bank account). Now I totally appreciate time of year, weather conditione etc.

Woman took down my details etc at 4.40pm and stated we were a priority being stuck on motorway and stated recovery would be within the hour, happy days we thought considering weather etc. Smile

An hour came and went no sign Sad , bloody freezin by now, gave it to an hour and a half and rang back to be told they hadn't found a recovery company yet Sad
and could be another 4 hours Evil or Very Mad so i kicked off with them on phone, here we are now 2 hours in expecting a truck soon to be told another 4 hours.

Now the woman on the phone tried to explain how busy they were and was doing her best to sort it. Now if they had said at the beginning how busy they were and ETA's etc I would have done what i ended up doin and getting other help.

Eventually a recovery company rang and said they would charge me £135.00 to be took to a safe place which was further away from where i live Confused  told them to F~@k off. I tried to explain a tow with a transit van would have us home in 10 minutes.

Not very happy at all with the AA but i guess i,m stuck with them, complaining to them direct and through my bank who are one of their biggest customers. I dont want anything from them I just want them to know how sub standard their service was on Sunday which was all down to their poor communication.

At one point i told them i would arrange my own recovery and charge them, they didnt like that and tried to involve the highways agency to get one of their garages to me.

To sum up here are some points,
1) If they had told me from the outset it was going to be 6 hours i could have sorted something earlier, friends, family etc,
2) After giving reference off marker posts and junctions they thought i was in Stevenage Confused
3) Trying to charge me £135.00 to go to a safe place when home was closer.

Anyway eventually got home  Very Happy

Anybody else had an experience with the AA
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 20:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Wirdy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autoaid is the way to go!!!    http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/

When my alternator packed up last month at midnight in rural Lincolshire - recovery within 35 minutes, big modern flat bed truck turned up. Top service.  Couldn't fault it.

The cheque was waiting for me at home on my return from working away.

Don't say I told you this, but the local recovery companies prefer autoaid / Equity Red star recoveries 'cos they get paid in cash for the recovery by the customer - no waiting around for the money from the big organisations.  The only effort on my part was to fill in an easy claim form and the cost of a stamp  Smile
Munfred

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also had a similar problem last year when I broke down in North wales. Broke down just outside Llangollen where there was no phone signal on vodafone.
Had to walk into the centre to find a public phonebox as the pubs werent too helpful. Sad
Told me they would have someone with me in about an hour. Guy turns up in 20 mins.........happy days. Couldnt get a replacement waterpump after calling round a few places. (Was sunday afternoon so fair enough). So said he would have to get a recovery truck to pick me up as his van shouldnt really tow 4x4s because of the propshafts etc. (fair enough), and the recovery will be about 45 mins. 3 hours later it arrived, and since I didnt have a signal and didnt want to leave the vehicle I had no way to contact the AA in between.
Apparently he got stuck on the A6 and then had to stop for lunch because the european directive says they have to take a break from driving every xx hours.
After getting loaded I then had to go to wrexham where he had to pick up another car going to ipswich that had broken down.
Once we got to the M6 we had to stop at the services as he wasnt allowed to go any further or some other reason. I got loaded onto a truck and taken back to Bedford whilst the other driver who was a lady with a baby had to wait at the services in the cold whilst they sorted out a *beep* where they found the vehicle they had provided to pick her up to take her to ipswich didnt have the capability to disengage the airbags (A little bit of a problem when you have a childseat).
Anyway. 13 hours after leaving Betws y coed I got home.
When the guy dropped me off he said he had to go and pick the woman up again from the a14 near huntingdon as the other guy couldnt take her any further..............dread to think what time her and baby got in.........

I was tempted to stay with ADAC whom I used when going to the nurbergring, but found that they would probably use the AA for recovery in the UK anyway.

Tempted to change to RAC or green flag. Anyone else had any experiences with these companies???
DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AA in my opinion are CR*P about 8 years ago i broke down they sent a local company out to me and charged £92 for my troubles, I swapped over to RAC and i have never had a problem with them, Infact last time i called them (collapsed clutch in trooper) from my phone call to them arriving was all of 5 minutes. They'll do for me Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
**ROB**

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded!! The AA is a complete bag of rubbish never again will i have them as breakdown cover,
i  broke down back in march 2009 in my old frontera, with my kids and heavilly pregnant wife, i was over the nick of pendle which is in the middle of nowhere the nearest village was a good 2 1/2 mile walk, now i rang them at 5:30pm to reported that i had broken down and needed a tow back home, the operator said they had a van near us and that they would be with us in an hour,
Now by 6:30pm there was no sign or phone call from the AA, i rang back and the operator then said the van had moved out of the area as we were speaking previously and he was now heading back into pendle to find us, i had words about my wife being pregnant and the operator assured me that the van would once again be there in an hour,
There was still no sign by 7:30pm, finally by 7:45pm the driver phoned us to say he was on his way up to barley to make his way to us, again we waited and there was no sign by 9pm i was getting a bit frantic due to my wife's back was hurting and she was hungry and the kids were bored and hungry, and it was pitch black.
the driver finally arrived at 10pm apologising saying he had gone up the wrong road and had to make a detour back to us, which was a load of rubbish due to there was only one road from barley which led up to where i had broken down
finally got home at 11pm with a fixed motor and a very very angry wife

93 Citation Trooper, 3.1tdi

91 Range Rover 3.9 Project now a big tin cube at the scrappers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Breakdown / Recovery All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: