Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

New 3.0 towing caravan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yintong5

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40    Post subject: New 3.0 towing caravan Reply with quote

Hi all,
Not necessarily 'technical' as such but just wanted to share my thoughts on towing with the new beast.
I bought a 1999 T 3.0TD a few weeks back to replace my old 3.1 which, sadly was getting too old underneath for me to continue with - it was a sad parting, though sold on eblag for 600 quid, with welding work remaining to be done, so I was not unhappy there.
However, it was time to take the new one on a caravanning weekend so I thought I'd share me thoughts while they are still fresh in my mind:
Power: there is no doubt that the 3.0 is a much more powerful unit on the road, though I never had any issues with the 3.1 (it is still probably the best towcar I'd ever had) but on the road, the 3.0 certainly has more pull and is a breeze on the motorway (whereas the old'n was probably 'breezy' on the motorway).
Uphill however, I'm not so sure: There certainly seems a slight detachment, in my mind, between the engine and turbo inasmuch as the two units never seem to operate as a perfect single entity. It doesn't make it an unpleasant ride, but on very steep inclines (One particular one that killed my Explorer gearbox some years back) there is sometimes the feeling that the turbo would like to pop out for a bit and fetch it's bigger brother to get to the top of the hill. As I say it's not unpleasant, but the out and out confidence isn't always there.
Mileage: 20.5MPG, which is *beep*, in my opinion; I've done the same run plenty of times and always got around 24 or so - I have thought about stuffing some Extralube in it to try and get a bit more out of it, but any other ideas would be appreciated. I've also noticed this, generally, on the road as well: better than when towing, but not as good as the 3.1 around town.
A little clutch judder on take up when towing, though this could have a number of factors; the clutch IS very low, the gearbox a little notchy, so I suppose there could be a clutch/gearbox issue - it's not major, but it's probably car and not model specific.
And finally, my 6 month old granddaughter slept all the way there and all the way back which is, at least, testament to a smooth ride.
Anybody else have any thoughts on towing with the 3.0?
Stu
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the running out of steam going up hills - get it down into gear and keep revs above 3000 and you should be ok.

The gearbox on mine is nice - no notchiness at all

No clutch judder on mine but there again my clutch is only about 12k old

Get a new oil service and air filter on it just to check

I get on average about 24 when towing assuming I am not canning the pants off it
yintong5

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim,

Above 3000 rpm eh? that's about where I start worrying about the turbo. Maybe I just need to get used to the sound....

Was told the engine had had a 5/30 oil change a couple of months back but I agree it wouldn't hurt to do it again to be on the safe side, as well as an air filter change which, now I've had a peek, looks like it could do with one.

I have read here that the notchy gearchange could be down to the incorrect grade of oil in the box, but that sounds to me like hoping.

Wish me luck,

Stu
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stu

It does sometimes feel as if you are reving the pants off it but its still under the red line Smile
scj103
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, my 3.0 will out-tow 3.1s uphill...but it does get warm doing so.  It does prefer to be revving higher than the 3.1.

Pulling away laden I do get a fair bit of juddering, from the dual mass flywheel. i replaced it about 9 months ago with a new one from Milners which still clatters and judders, so was really fed up with that waste of time and money.  I just tend to rev it higher and slip it more smoothly.
In terms of economy I get about 28mpg towing or not. We managed 31.5 towing the van to devon and back last summer.  Each one seems to vary slightly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: