Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Cool Runnings - Very Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stanners

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 22:03    Post subject: Cool Runnings - Very Cool Reply with quote

I have just bought a 93 3.1TD Lotus Bighorn which I am very happy with - fantastic truck - but I have noticed that it really does not get very warm at all even on a hard run down the motorway at up to 85...

Have looked under the bonnet (bout as far as it gets with me...) and it has an engine driven fan which is permanently rotating - so is always drawing cool air through the rad.

What can I do - short of fitting a Kenlowe Electric rig?

Any thoughts would be welcome cos I am also looking at trying to get more economy - a d trip to the diesel doctor may be in the offing have read other posts.......
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 22:03    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jjcymru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

3.1s should run fairly warm.

I presume the thermostat is jammed open.

easy to check, remove the cover with 3 12mm bolts on the top of the engine (has 2 sensors in the housing) lift out the stat, and put in a new one of higher rating... youll see a number such as 82 stamped somewhere on the stat itself..might need a wipe tho!
stanners

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that - will have a gander

Is it worth fitting an electric fan instead of the engine-driven one? Might improve engine performance without the drag of those big fan blades...
jjcymru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

the drag is huge and youd gain mpg and performance...

try kenlowe for a kit, was thinking about it myself on the 2.8 frontera.

'cept on boost uphill the guage rises very quickly so id be a bit weary of getting the settings wrong or the fan not working.

at least the belt one keeps moving regardless.
Philp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fan should (I think) have a viscous coupling. This is meant to disengage the fan when the engine is cool and then as the temperature rises effectively locks the fan to the drive unit. The fan still turns when the engine is cold but it is just windmilling in the drag from the coupling. If the coupling has failed it can permanently engage the fan meaning slow warm up times BUT it should still get up to temperature eventually. I'd go with a new Thermostat first (oh and remember to replace the gasket on the housing unless it's one with a rubber O ring seal)

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of degrees change in ambient temperature can make all the difference although yours does sound like it's running rwally cold. On a day when ambient is less than 10 degrees C, it hardly gets above the 'C'. A thrash along the motorway though, does increase it to almost normal. They all seem to be like this and it's possibly because of the typical temperatures where they come from in Japan.

Stiil running to cool for my liking though. Kenlowe type fan is always a good idea. It will "release" up to 10% more hp.

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
stanners

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for all the help - can confirm that the fan is working as it should, so we are going to try the thermostat - although given the front is as exposed as a Landie, may well try the 'blanking half the rad grill off during winter' trick

Dunno what its like in warm weather - not been in any yet

Many thanks for all your good advice!!

Stanners
LuckyTrucker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, yes I was concerned with the cold running of my 2.8td so I changed the thermostat. It didn't make any difference. I must admit though when I pulling a 3 ton trailer mile after mile at full throttle and the temp stayed no more than 1/4 way I was happy.Yes it is pain when the heater takes a long time to warm up, you will glad to know that my new Disco is no better Confused
stanners

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to sound like an ignoramous now - but doesn't running an engine cold damage the lifetime of the unit by engendering increased wear?
Hard1
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 0:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanners wrote:
I'm going to sound like an ignoramous now - but doesn't running an engine cold damage the lifetime of the unit by engendering increased wear?

"Cold" is a relative term. The engine won't be too cold damage wise, but it certainly won't be as efficient as a properly warm motor. Stone cold is the condition which causes most wear component wear, as in initial start-up. My gauge never goes above the cold mark in town in this weather, but I certainly can't keep my hand on the engine block for too long!

Click HERE to see under my bonnet!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: