2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

3.0it Will Not Start

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
O2b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 23:15    Post subject: 3.0it Will Not Start Reply with quote

Hi from Auckland, New Zealand.

I have a wee bit of a problem and wonder if anyone could help me please.

I have a 1999 Isuzu Wizard, Jap import with now approx 100,000ks on the clock. It looks like a Vauxhall/Opel/Holden Fronterra with the 3.0lt 4JX1 engine.

At the moment it will not fire. The engine turns over and makes all the right sounds (clicks and so on) when the key is first turned but when the key is turned to fire it will not. It just turns over and over

It is with the mechanic and I thing I will be funding his next overseas holiday. Where I live he is considered the closest thing we have to an expert on these engines but we don't have a lot of the 4JX1 engines and don't get a lot of info here.

Holden who has the franchise for Isuzu don't want to know and say they do not have a scanner that will work on this engine. I wouldn't cross the road to piss on them.

I use the 5-30W sym oil and have had the O-rings including sleeves changed just over 10,000ks ago. We have not heard anything about turbo or oil strainer problems with nothing on the Isuzu recall web site.

Since this problem started I have had changed so far is.
1. Oil change, 5-30w with both oil filters, fuel & air filter changed.
2. New battery. Old battery was not holding its charge.
3. New, second hand Throttle positioning sensor. Tried to get new but Holden are useless.

This is the background.
Very occasionally I noticed it would idle a little rougher than normal when hot. Then to start, it was taking a little longer to fire than normal, a few seconds. The throttle was not as smooth with maybe a little dead spot.

Then from cold the wagon takes many attempts to start. Once started the engine idles very roughly at about 400-500 revs. There is no response from the throttle until the engine neared normal operating temperature.

When near normal op temperature the revs would suddenly climb to normal and the throttle started to respond, sometimes intermittently, sometimes worked normally. Once near or when at normal temperature the engine worked great and the wagon went like a rocket. When hot stopping and restarting the engine was first pop.

And couple of times the engine just stopped when driving along the road.

The “Check Engine” light on the dash does not go out until the engine starts.

I have had the TPS changed and had an auto electrician checked all sensors which he says are OK. Unfortunately the dynastic machine could check the sensors but not the computer itself??? I don't know I'm not a mechanic. Plus they said the voltages to the sensors are OK.

When the present mechanic first had the wagon it worked fine so he went through the normal checks and found nothing. He checked all of the flows are they are OK. I don't know I'm not a mechanic. The other auto electrician may have done something when he was checking the sensors or more than likely the connectors.

So when I went to pick up the wagon it started roughly, no throttle response and stalled within a minute. I wasn't happy and the mechanic was not happy. He said it made them look like idiots.

Since then it has gotten worse and now will not fire.

Today the present mechanic has found someone with a Tech 2 scanner so hopefully they will find something when it is attached.

So any thoughts? What sensors, bits should we be looking at and what is the most logically diagnostic path to follow.

Your help is very much welcome. Sorry for the novel.

Thanks
Craig

PS I found this web site because of this problem and it is great.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 23:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news yet?
O2b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 19:48    Post subject: 3.0lt Will Not Start Non Update Reply with quote

Hi

We are still waiting on the tech with the Tech II to come around. Sad

He keeps promising but is always too busy. When he is the "only show in town" you have to be tolerate.

At the moment sit and wait as the only other method is to start replacing bit until something works and that is a very expensive way to go.

Thanks
Craig
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have a pm
davehodge999

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 13:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

just had similar happened to my trooper 3.0.obviously thought the worst was happening, turned out to be drawing air in at one of the pipes near to the filter .cut end off pipe put it back on and been fine since
O2b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 23:00    Post subject: An Update Reply with quote

Hi

Not much of an update.

Still waiting on the guy with the Tech 2. So discussed with the mechanic about replacing a sensor which he says he is 80% sure is the problem. As it is only $160.00 kiwi said go ahead. This was Monday so still waiting on sensor to turn up from supplier.

Not sure on which sensor but will find out if it works.

If this gets the wagon going will then take it arround to the guy with the Tech 2 to see if there are any other faults.

So fingers crossed

eithan h - what is a PM, im new to this!

Cheers
Craig
eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

private message!
O2b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:52    Post subject: It Goes Reply with quote

Well the mechanic has replaced the Oil Pressure Sensor (part no H8971370421) on the common rail and the wagon goes.

Much relief all round. I think he was glad to see the back of me.

Driving it back to work I think the engine is smoother and a little quieter but who knows as it feel like it has been so long since I have driven it.

Thank you to the people who replied and to other posts who help narrow the fault.

I hope this is the end of it.

Cheers
Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: