QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Novice to Offroading...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anth.payne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Novice to Offroading... Reply with quote

Hi all - newbie here, go easy

I've owned several 4x4 in the past including Pajero's, Pathfinder's - the latest being an Isuzu Trooper Bighorn 3.1td.

I'm now keen to start 'Offroading' and would like some first hand advice on where to start... was thinking of a day at a 4x4 centre initially, with a view to start green lanin regularly.

I'm up in Berwick, so would appreciate it if anyone could recommend anywhere to visit in the North East / Borders area? Or even any fellow members that wouldnt mind sparing a bit time?

More to the point, I also need to start thinking about some kit.  Looking for some new wheels/tyres, but unsure what size to go for, or where to go?  Also, what else do I need to start thinking about?

Less importantly, was looking at some roof racks and roof lights... just to tart it up a bit...?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you have any pay and play sites up Berwick way, i worked up by Dunbar a while ago and noticed a 4x4 centre sign advertising something, maybe tuition but not sure, i used to pass it on the A1.

Myself and Hillybilly Col go to Pea Farm but its in Stanley Co Durham so may be a bit far.

We have been green laning as far up as Wooler and was a great day out so should be plenty there for you to have some fun Very Happy .
We go laning all over Northumberland so i can keep you posted if you fancy a day out sometime.

As far as wheels and tyres go, well theres plenty info advice/opinions on this Very Happy , as a start most go for a set of tyres and upgrade to 265/75/16 which will go on your trooper alloys. Camskill are good for tyres. My first set were Kingpin muds and they were spot on and quite cheap.

After that, coil spacers for the rear and wind up the front torsion bars will give you 2" lift and wont need to do much else Very Happy

A CB radio is a must for off roading and laning. Very Happy also tow/recovery straps are handy as well.

Roof rack and lights, well if you can make stuff you can have anything you like. Very Happy

Hope this helps.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

And forgot to mention we get across to Drumclog twice a year as well for the weekend, great weekend away to. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips Adz, and the offer... nothing is ever too far for me

I know where you mean off the A1... I think I came across their website.  I also came across a guy in Jedburgh and a couple Newcastle/Durham way...

I'm looking for tyres that will be OK on the road, aswell as capability for green laning

I was hoping to be getting a winch bumper, but dificult to find

I was going to buy some new wheels, cos the wheels on the trooper are a bit decrepid... was looking at this site:

http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=tyres&rim=R16&profile=265/75
http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=tyres&rim=R16&profile=265/70

http://www.4x4tyres.com/index.php?show=wheels&mid=3&mod=42

PS - is it really worth lifting... since the axles will still have the same clearance? Where will I find the kit/more info?
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good set of AT's like grabbers are good, if you want a bit more then mud tyres, no need to go for insa special tracks as there to aggressive for what you'll need.

I have just got some maxxis buckshots and i'm happy with them, bit more road noise than road tyres but nothing to annoying.

Its a good reference site you have posted for wheels and tyres but in my opinion are too expensive.

Standard tyre size for the trooper is 245/70/16 and is 29" approx high, if you go to 265/75/16 these are approx 31 1/2 inches high which will lift your axles an inch or so which makes a good difference off road, bigger tyres are the only way to get your axle up.

Winch bumpers are like hens teeth second hand and very expensive new.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Greenlaning I always say to first timers, a standard 4x4 will do most lanes in UK, even with AT tyres. So no need to spend money before you try it. Take a trip out with some peeps and enjoy it. Besides the fact you should never go out alone there would always be someone to pull you out of the odd muddy bit  Smile After your first trip out you will then be hooked, then will come a pay and play site where you will not believe what your standard car can do. At this point restraint will not be an word you recognise any more and tyres, sussy lift etc will not come fast enough  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing   Enjoy  Smile
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

danny20202003 wrote:
For Greenlaning I always say to first timers, a standard 4x4 will do most lanes in UK, even with AT tyres. So no need to spend money before you try it. Take a trip out with some peeps and enjoy it. Besides the fact you should never go out alone there would always be someone to pull you out of the odd muddy bit  Smile After your first trip out you will then be hooked, then will come a pay and play site where you will not believe what your standard car can do. At this point restraint will not be an word you recognise any more and tyres, sussy lift etc will not come fast enough  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing   Enjoy  Smile

Yep, thats how it all starts  Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in for a ride then! no punn intended  Shocked

Any decent reference site on suspension lift?  Wondering of new shocks/springs would be better than spacers? Was thinkin of replacing them anyway.

Where's best to look for wheels/tyres?
adz1973
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll be able to get all the info etc on suspension from this club.

4x4at arent to bad for wheels, tyres are expensive, keep a watch on flea bay to. Very Happy

I went to www.camskill.co.uk for my tyres, very competative.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

As already said your stock truck will be perfectly fine for most lanes. The most important things you need are good recovery points front and rear, some decent rated recovery straps/ropes (not a halfords tow rope) atleast one other truck to go with. If your totally new to going laning and offroading (2 different things) you don't need to worry about lifting your suspension and fitting big mt's etc etc, the Trooper is quite good out of the box, just go out and give it a try. Most people who mod them do so as they've found the limits and want to go further.
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

as gary has said..you'll do fine in standard truck.....i was very surprised at how mine faired when i 1st fot it
took it down to my 1st club meet at buildwas in standard trim with road tyres on and managed quite well in some very sticky stuff...it even got through the pond no probs

if distance isn't a prob like adam has said have a trip down to pea farm for a bit play...that's how we started
unfortunately after my trip to buildwas and seing keith and twisters trucks that's when my mod list started and never seems to stop growing...... tried to get them to help pay for my mods as i said it was their fault ...but nothing doing
god loves a tryer  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
anth.payne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

As they say - shy bairns get nowt!  Confused

Distance no problem, will have to try and get down next time, or at worst, the time after
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Green Laning / Offroading All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: