QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

12n socket upgrade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tiktok

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 21:22    Post subject: 12n socket upgrade Reply with quote

I need to upgrade from a single 12n socket to a twin 12n/12s.  Is it just a case of 12n off and the twin socket on or is more complicated than that?  Or are there any other options available?

Edit........after reading further I dont think a split charge system is the answer as I want to do some extended green field caravaning this year.  I dont have funds available for solar power or a nice new generator etc.  Would it be possible to take an extra battery and change it daily with the Troopers two batteries so there will always be two fully charged?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 21:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really as leisure batteries are slow release and car batteries are not, What do you run on 12v in the caravan? a fully charged leisure battery will last quite a long time unless you have a lot of 12v equipment, A cheap genny would give you charging capability while running small 240v gadgets.

Something like this
http://cgi.eebuygum.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-PRO-USER-850W-PETROL-GENERATOR-240V-850WATT-/200574061812?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item2eb3254cf4

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
markymoan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

<<<< confused
Would you be moving daily or running the trooper to charge the battery?
If its the last one then you may as well buy a cheap genny, I have seen them for £20 used, and they will run all day on about £5 maybe a lot less if its not grafting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can even get conversion kits to run the generator on gas to keep the cost down even further.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
greasemonkey
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi you can also get 12n/s combined into a 13 pin socket - with matching plug for your caravan -called a Euro Plug / socket
cheers
Steve
tiktok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to site the caravan for 7 to 10 days without a mains hook up.  Generators are banned!  I can limit 12v use to lighting (say 4 hours per day) and the water pump (approx 30 mins per day). The battery is a 110ah in good condition, do you think it would cope?  I could buy a second leisure battery and a 12s socket to charge them when mobile.  

I am fitting a 12s outlet anyway and still have the opion to upgrade to 13 pin if I could ever afford a new caravan Laughing

Can anyone tell me where the 12s cable is located on a 3.0td van?
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a wind turbine to at least trickle charge it when you're not using it?  Solar panels have got a lot cheaper now and even a small one will add something to the battery when theres no load on it.  I use a 2W panel as a trickle charger to keep the mower battery charged at my house in France when I'm not there.

How about a 10W panel for £40

http://cgi.eebuygum.co.uk/Sunshine-10W-12V-Semi-Flexible-Solar-Panel-/260732000613?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item3cb4d69965

http://cgi.eebuygum.co.uk/2-solar-panels-and-charger-12v-/130484125522?pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item1e6175bf52

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
tiktok

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to add a 12s outlet and buy a decent solar panel and see how it copes.  It's a bit more than I wanted to pay but there's no running costs so that should balance the books Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: