2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fuel Consumption

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Batwick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:27    Post subject: Fuel Consumption Reply with quote

What sort of MPG should one expect from a MANUAL 3.1TD? Having just bought the vehicle (1993, but <70,000 miles and in extraordinarily good condition) I'm disappointed by the rate it guzzles. Not emptied the tank yet, but it's eaten through 3/4 of it in only just over 200 miles. That's V8 petrol Range Rover numbers...

Maybe it needs tuning? Anybody know the likelihood that blocked/tired injectors and/or weary glow-plugs might be lowering its efficiency?

Our other vehicle is a Mitsubishi Evo VII and currently it's the "efficient" member of the family fleet. That can't be right!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:27    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

harald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi check with whatcar on the autotrader site it gives you all the info you need i had a go at copy and past bellow but it didnt work to well so had to fill in the missing bits the auto box is why the petrol is better on fuel not the engine shame they dont do diesel autos now that would be nice hope this helps you

5 speed
3059cc insurance 12 Diesel 17.4 mpg

auto
3165cc insurance 12 Unleaded 19.3 mpg
Batwick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Your figures fit in better with my experience, but after posting the question, I noticed other threads on the forums referring to much better numbers than these. So I'm now even more confused!

By the way, autos are almost never more efficient that manuals for a variety of reasons, including the fact that plenty of energy is lost in the torque convertor by heating up the oil - which then needs cooling down with a front mounted transmission fluid cooler. Lock-up torque convertors avoid this during constant speed driving but I don't think any Troopers have such a gismo.

I'm quite certain that there are diesel auto Troopers as well though - and that they're notorious guzzlers.

I bought the manual as I thought it'd be economical (well, at least economical for a 2-tonne car shaped like late 50s block of flats running on French-tickler tyres that is...)
harald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on how you drive early autos where only 3 speed and they where bad but now they are 4 speed they do work out better unless you drive at 80 plus on the motoway all day long day in day out then 5 speed is better but lets face it most of us potter around town the diesel landcruser vx auto does 26mpg and thats a 5 speed auto box the main differance is when you change gear you lose a lot of speed where the autos dont Very Happy i must admit the only other car thats good on fuel is the discovery diesel they do 25mpg on a 5 speed box its a shame landrover doesnt know what build quality is from past exsperiance Sad they are rubbish been there owned 2 and will not make it 3 Evil or Very Mad oh well thats my bit of winging out of the way for today hope the info helps
harald

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

was thinking about what you said about the injectors they only clog up when the car does not get warm ie thermostat stuck in open position or missing all together as it requires the heat off the engine to burn the deposits off put injector cleaner in the enjine costs about £3.50-4 what it does is increase the burn rating on diesel when in the chamber and that makes up for the cold in the car enjine and burns deposits of also the higher burn will mean you will do another 2 mpg on average while you are on the first tank with the aditive so it will pay for itself but if its not the injectors your fuel consumption will go back to normal if however it stays high and after you have refilled the tank from empty a couple of times then starts to go down on fuel on the 4 th tank or so look at car temp and check thermostat ask others on this site where the temp needle should point for diesel cars if the temps ok shouldnt be injectors Very Happy
Batwick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - I'll try that.

I have noticed that the temp guage takes FOREVER to get going - meaning that the heater is next to useless.
Grandad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuel consumption figures for 3.1td are 23-30 mpg manual g/box
3.1td are 23-30 mpg automatic
the auto box is aisin warner lock up torque converter with overdrive
the same box is fitted to pajeros toyota surfs and volvos takes some getting used to these figures can be bettered slightly with a gentle right foot
stanners

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking an age to warm up? - you need to have a thermostat change! I did and it has made a considerable difference... Smile
stanners

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh - and I get around 30mpg out of my 93 Bighorn manual with a variety of use including hard motorway driving Laughing
fifth4x4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tow a horse trailer (complete with horse) and your MPG will increase dramaticaly Shocked No sudden take offs and no sudden braking does wonders for your fuel consumption! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Servicing / tuning / MOT All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: