2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

which is better single or twin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bt car

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 0:13    Post subject: which is better single or twin Reply with quote

hi everybody,

was, am thinking of buying a twin axle caravan (20 feet)and a smaller one single axle (14 feet) has come on the market. the owner of the single one has told me a: single one easier to tow
b: twin axle ripe wheel offs
c: twin axle wheels are not allowed on some camp sites.

I never towed caravans but have towed single and twin  trailers and found twin better, never had trouble with wheels. thats covers A and B now point C is where i need your help. is point true or is this seller just trying harder to unload this caravan quicker.

any comments welcome;

brian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 0:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 0:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno about sites in Ireland but I would say twin axle everytime as they are more stable, mine is single and dances all over the place.
And before anybody mentions about loading, its perfect, I just dont like the way a single axle tows  Wink
Another bonus with a twin is it wont drag your car off the road if you have a blowout at 60mph.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeh, some sites here have restricted length but that is nothing to do with axles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have towed both single and twin. In my experience a twin axle is more stable in crosswinds and at speed although at lower speeds with correct nose weight the single axle. Is fine.
I have a twin at the moment and I have never heard of any restrictions. Maybe length yes but not axles.

I find. That a single axle gives a side to side swaying motion but the twin gives up and down motion, if you get what I mean.
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get you, the single wants to snake but the twin just bobs up and down, granted a single trying to snake wont upset a Trooper but it does make the trip more tiresome.
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twins definitely more stable plus easier to reverse as dont change direction quickly Smile
Wirdy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

The load spread over 4 wheels has to be better for the heavier vans and as mark says on the dreaded occurrence of a puncture you will fare better with two axles.
As you are towing with your trooper this opens up your choices to the much bigger vans that even bigger saloon cars and soft roaders cant tow. Hence the market is better to drive a good deal in my experience.
Must admit though, a single axle is so much easier to spin on its axis once on a pitch but if you can actually reverse properly (unlike most drivers!) putting the twin onto the pitch in the correct orientation is no bother.
Ahem. ....... I cheat a bit with my front tow bar Wink
mia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wirdy wrote:
Ahem. ....... I cheat a bit with my front tow bar Wink

Hmmm, now there's an idea!  I'm *beep* at reversing my caravan.  Embarassed
Peej
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 20:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think twins will be always inherently more stable, but I don't think that means singles are not, my last 2 vans towed exceptionally well, and my new Pegasus is brilliant. Granted they  are newer and modern vans.

LTM 24
bt car

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks everyone,

def. think your man was trying to pull the wool over my eyes, single is good twin is better. i thing i'll go for the twin axle as i planned for before this clown tried to sell me his wagon.

thanks again,
brian
nobbygezza

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 23:11    Post subject: Single or Twin Reply with quote

Hi ya, the information already given by other members is all true. If you can reverse a trailor then your have no problems with a twin axle, as for not wanted on some sites this is also very true, if your travelling to France Spain etc... They consider you to be a do as you likey, (_ _ _ _ _) if you have a twin axle. Although saying that i have never had any problems whilst touring abroad mainly because i pre book through the caravan club. They will be able to tell you if the site does not welcome twin axles, and there are a few. The only reason some sites dont like them over here is because of the damage they do to the grass, if again you cant reverse and try jack knifing them around on the spot, otherwise there fine. Hope this helps.
richard wilkinson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find more controll reversing a twin than a single saying that pulled a tripple axle trailer otherday it was a b+itch to reverse round the corner
markymoan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have asked me Rich, I drive better in reverse than forwards  Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
Should have asked me Rich, I drive better in reverse than forwards  Laughing

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
loose chip
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no experience of towing twin axle caravans but on point C there is some truth in that a lot of sites in the UK are a little bit suspicious of allowing twin axle caravans on site because they are the favoured type used by the 'Travellers' who have blighted many sites.  

A way of getting into gated sites is for one of them to legitimately book a night to get a key pass to any gate, and then let in their friends in the middle of the night.

A lot of sites have limited access (even big sites!) so have a size limit, which catches out most twin axle caravans as they tend to be on the larger size, part from the previously mentioned extra damage to grass a twin axle can cause because of the slewing action when changing direction.  Limited access roads are even more common abroad. By joining and using one or both of the two main Clubs (Caravan Club & Camping and Caravan Club) you will be advised of these sites with limited acess, and also have a Membership Card to prove you are a genuine Caravanner!

The biggest difference you will find is the extra room inside the larger caravan - even a few feet make a lot of difference, most caravanners start with small vans and trade up!  If you can accept the inconvenience of the larger size - go for it.

2002 Abbey Impression 520L

1952 Sunbeam Talbot 90 saloon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: