All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Suzy - Old faithful

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wez

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12    Post subject: Suzy - Old faithful Reply with quote

Well just realised I've had this a couple years now and not posted it up lol, far from exciting, and a bit rough around the edges, but I absolutely love this thing!

Me and my dad went halfers on this 3.1TD Trooper Citation in Jan 2010.

We only bought a cheappy to get us through the winter  with the view to weigh it in/break it a few months later.

We got in on eebuygum with 140k miles on from some farmer type in Darlington, spares or repairs because it had a smashed windscreen on passenger side, a blowing exhaust manifold, A/C didnt work and needed two new batteries. New fuel lines had just been fitted for the full MOT it came with, and the only advisory was 'unable to check any structure for rust due to excessive underseal'... naturally we were dubious and guessed they were hiding holes in the chassis but bought it anyway as just needed something to plod in for a few months.

We put in a pair of old mis-matched car batteries that were collecting dust in the garage, and the rest is history...

Used for a year with zero problems, about 20k miles on 100% veg oil, getting 28-30mpg.

We replaced the screen (from a friends scrap trooper that was very broke) and filled the little crack in the head around the exhaust manifold port with something sticky and a new manifold gasket, and it passed another mot in Jan 2011, only advisory was rough edges on some of the wheel arches where the tin worm had taken hold. a quick sand down and some underseal fixed it. We couldnt believe there was nothing else wrong with the old girl.
The alternator died shortly after, so we took the one off my friends scrap trooper again, just before it was weighed in.

Only other thing we've had to do is replace two tyres and brake pads etc...

done about 35k in it since buying it, its been a real work horse, wanted for nothing, and both my dad and I have really gave it some serious serious stick... doing things that most would say was impossible... and all on cheap AT road tyres.

We've even had an estimated 6 ton combined inside and on the tow bar and it never even struggled

up 60 degree grassy inclines covered in 2ft of snow... no problems Smile

When it finally dies, i'd love to replace it with one the same... or a MK4 with a 3.1 td swap.

My dad crashed it a few months ago, at 60+mph into a 0 day old tigra (being delivered to its first owner), well he actaully drove over the tigra, then ploughed straight into the bin wagon that was infront of that.

We thought it was game over, but its hard as nails, new headlight, grille and bonnet, and a few sharp tugs on the front chassis crossmember (from another trooper via a chain) and it was back on the road, after he got the copper brake pipes replaced that he managed to burst, as he hit the brakes so hard when he crashed lol.

I think if he was in a lesser vehicle, the story could have been much worse for him

Front bumper still a bit wonky and the drivers wing is pushed back half an inch, but it all adds to character.

Forgot to add, it has a plexiglass rear screen now too, my dad managed to smash that, something to do with a length of pipe that was a bit too long to fit in lmao!

Like I say, shes a rough old bus now, but I wouldnt have it any other way.
Its a true motoring friend, I have a few vehicles, but I only get that feeling of trust between man and machine in the Trooper.
1997 LWB Trooper 3.1TD Citation - N288LAG - Gone, never forgotten

Last edited by wez on Wed Jan 25, 2012 21:41; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:12    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the story behind it Cool

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
hillbilly col
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see it's still running wez and your still having fun with it  Wink  Very Happy
wez

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Col, she's still plodding on Very Happy
I think you were the one that pulled up beside us at Hellfrauds down the team valley one time a few year back...
When my dad saw yours parked up, he said - Oooo thats a nice one, we'll get one of those next Very Happy

Its MOT time for it next month but she doesnt need re-taxed till May, so I might just risk running it till then, the sell her for spares/repairs... be a shame though, its part of the family now lol.

I'll get more pics when something exciting happens, my mates just bought a Pajero, so no doubt i'll be towing him out of snow that it cant handle in a few weeks time lol.
1997 LWB Trooper 3.1TD Citation - N288LAG - Gone, never forgotten
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Readers Drives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: