Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Could someone give opinion on this unit please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicerass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24    Post subject: Could someone give opinion on this unit please Reply with quote

http://www.yorkshiregreenfuels.co.uk

I have thought seriously about bio for a while and was wondering if anyone knows of this system or indeed has one. We have 2 diesels, the other being astra 1.7 tdi estate so would be a good investment if ok.
Thanks for any help
Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you get waste veg oil freely? If not you will find yourself buying it and some people are wanting up to 50p a litre Shocked . Also lately laws are getting more stringent on the way companies can dispose of waste oil, I can't see it being long before you need a waste license to remove WVO from anywhere(if you don't already). I'm certainly not trying to put you off just making sure you are aware of some of the obstacles before you spend a lot of money on a bio plant setup Wink

Just to add, They say

"Your diesel will cost you approximately 70p per litre using new vegetable oil and about 8p per litre using free used oil"

With new veg oil being around £1.50 a litre in most cases, nearly a pound a litre in the cheapest cases they are way out Wink

Still worth doing if you can get waste freely Wink

2002 S-TYPE JAGUAR 3.0 SPORT
nicerass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dylan
I have a couple of outlets that i can get wvo from, have got about 100 litres already, posted earlier for someone to pick up for free but no bites so thought i might have a go at filtering if all comes good with the unit. I have asked this before and i think you answered but new oil, is it ok now that the weather is warming up, do not use the truck in the winter unless absolutely neccesary. I love the truck and do not want to harm it and certainly dont want lines furring up etc. I can get new oil at approx 80-90p per litre through my friends restaurant which is still great. Not after megga savings although would be nice but through the summer months even if i can lower my towing caravan costs it all helps. I feel like going out and pouring 20 litres in my half full tank but you know what its like ...... Gutless coz its new territory  Embarassed
Thanks for your help
DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was like that but now i'm running 50/50 SVO/DERV and it runs fine, There is plenty of info on the site on mixes people use i think some go as far as 80/20 in the summer, also it can be mixed with petrol (out of the tank mixing is preferable i think) There's also info on water injection that supposedly stops all the furring up.

To give you an idea, If you can get veg oil at 80p per litre thats a (round here @£1.47ltr) 67p a litre saving, Times that by 4.54 (ltr's to a gallon) thats £3.04 saving on a gallon so if running 50/50 it's £1.52 saving on every gallon of fuel you use, If you like me are getting hit hard in the pocket at the moment that savings not bad at all.

On a 300 mile run doing 30mpg it's a £15.20 saving, These workings out are crude so don't quote me to the penny but it's there abouts.

There are a few on here running veg and have been for a long time so don't be scared to ask questions Wink

nicerass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, times are tight mate but fortuneately i don't use the truck all the time. I sold my van which i used for work and decided to use the truck for work, not much work at the mo but i always put a fuel allowance in a quote to cover that mileage i do on a job and i am of course one insurance better off. I have even bought a spare filter for when it gets a bit blocked from muck out the tank, if it is mucky at the bottom of the tank. I know my turbo blew but that is poor maintenance i suppose, it has a digital turbo timer fitted but i imagine that people just dont bother or are too ignorant. Did you get the mucky filter problem or were you one of the lucky ones ?
I just have visions of being out and clunk, the engine stops through starvation and me, the caravan and a miffed wife and daughter stuck in the middle of no-where with only a spanner for company, but i suppose i must. Might just raid the wifes cookery cupboard and stick a couple of litres in for a trial run, might even stretch to a gallon. My wife also works for a supermarket and gets 10% discount on all things inc oils. Is the cooking oil heavier than diesel !! i.e does it sit at the bottom of the tank and seperate, having said that i will put a dollop of diesel and the same of oil in a bottle and see what happens over a day or so.

Will i get the munchies when idling with the windows down  Rolling Eyes

One guy replied to a similar post a few weeks past and he said not to let the truck idle from a cold start in the mornings but to just start and get driving, i always let it warm a coulple of minutes even on a warm day, is there anything in his statement as i suppose you are the perfect role model on oils and diesel  study
DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny as when i'd wrote that i was going up to see my gaffer, The truck started and spluttered to a stop straight away, Off i went to Minofern (local spares place) and £4.86 later walked out with a new filter Very Happy It took me 10 mins to swap over and she fired within a couple of cranks. I have been running veg for about 3 weeks and today it blocked Wink

All's fine again now, Infact it's running brilliantly Very Happy

As far as getting the munchies, Yes you'll smell like a chippy Laughing

Mine will idle fine, Little excess smoke and lumpy for a second or two but thats it (and i need new glo plugs)

nicerass

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly need new plugs, up to 3 glows now and starts bang on, my after glow thingy behind the headlight works fine. Anyway i have decided to take a leap into the unknown and convert to a semi travelling chippy. I have just put in 15 ltrs of diesel, about 20 in the tank at the minute. I am just about to throw 5 ltrs of bookers finest KTC veg oil in and give it a run to get it flowing and we will see how it goes in the next couple of days. Mine will be a 70/30 ish mix to start. I'de like to say thanks for all your input and not just on this post. I am going to put a bit of diesel in a glass with the same oil just to see if the oil, or diesel, sinks. I hope i will meet you all at the bash as i am coming up for a day just to blast my bogeys at everyone
Thanks dylan, you've been a great help
DYLAN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Glad to have been a help Wink

Sir Henry

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from an abortive and unsuccessful attempt at running on filtered WVO back in the late 80's I've run my last 3 diesel cars on virtually neat veg with no problems to date. Even though I still run on filtered WVO I still add at least 5% unleaded to it at the second settling stage and before filtering. I also include 10% to 20% used sump oil which seems to keep the oil nice and runny down to very low temperatures. I only had one problem during the Winter of 2010/11 on a Toyota Estima which turned out to be the fuel line being of the wrong grade of plastic which became too rigid, sucked air and stopped the car every few miles just before Crimbo. Replacing it with the correct grade of reinforced rubber fuel pipe cured it immediately.
SVO is a different story as it's quite a bit more viscous than DERV and can soon cause problems with the seals in the injector pump at high %ages, especially on high mileage cars, due to the higher pressures it causes inside the pump. Fortunately Troopers & Montereys are fitted with Bosch pumps (or Japanese copies made under licence from Bosch) which aren't prone to the problems associated with the Lucas ones. On the few occasions that I've been forced to fill up with SVO (I get some really funny stares when pouring litre bottle after litre bottle of it into the fuel tank in the supermarket car park) I add 5-10% unleaded straight into the tank where it mixes readily and stays mixed. However I prefer to premix it a week or two in advance as it reduces the viscosity even further over that kind of time.

1992 Rover 216 Cabrio (The Nipper)
1976 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow (The Old Girl)
1995 Toyota Estima Lucida (Lucille)
and (of course)
1995 Vauxhall Monterey (Monty).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: