2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Why do you add petrol to veggi oil !!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicerass

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Why do you add petrol to veggi oil !! Reply with quote

I read regularly about a percentage of petrol in veg oil, is this added simply as a thinning agent or is it added to help create a flash point of the oil being used thus helping the combustion cycle etc  Rolling Eyes

I now have my new processor and have made 200 ltrs of good quality bio diesel. I wondered about combustion and did a small test in the garden with a match and blow torch. Diesel would not light with a match but lit slowly with the hotter blowtorch. Pure bio has no ignition but with varying amounts of petrol added i found about the same flashpoint as diesel with approx 12% petrol. Is it worthwhile adding the petrol in relative quantity per liter or just use the bio as it is with no flashpoint. As far as the tests went, they were conducted on the milliliter scale as a representation for larger amounts, no danger of blowing my todger off that way
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

TrooperDan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

a litre of petrol in a full tank of SVO for me thins it enough that one glow and it starts on first flick of key. When running without petrol as a thinner it takes 3 glows and 10 /15 seconds of turning over.
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine starts after a second or so on SVO and runs lumpy for 30 seconds, but first flick with 5% petrol.
I dont think its about flashpoint as its compression ignition, its about viscosity.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Bio is fine on its own  Cool

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started it this morning after 3 glows and it stuttered a bit, smoke out the back etc and a bit of diesel knock for about 30 seconds, but once warm its bang on. I wonder if the glows are not the best although they are about bang on with diesel. I will try a small equivalent mix with the bio just for test and report purposes and see how it goes. You have to bear in mind that although this is good bio, made properly, its viscosity is still thicker than standard diesel but it is a lot cleaner. I did a wash test on pump diesel and it was cloudy, the bio wash test was like mineral water.
nicerass

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made the answer a bit more simplified   Wink

Diesel fuel is derived from crude oil. It is a mixture of hydrogen and carbon molecules. It is developed for engines that provide energy for power, flow readily in cold temperature, provide low emission, provide good fuel economy, and allow easy start-up. Power generators are run by diesel fuel. The fuel also runs diesel-powered vehicles, such as ships, buses, or trucks. Diesel engines of these types of vehicles are internal combustion engines.

Diesel is used in a high-compression engine. Air is compressed until it is heated above the autoignition temperature of diesel. Then the fuel is injected as a high pressure spray. There is no ignition source. As a result, diesel is required to have a high flash point and a low autoignition temperature. The flashpoint of a fuel is the lowest temperature at which it can form an ignitable mix with air. The high flash point in diesel fuel means that it does not burn as easily as gasoline, which is a safety factor. Too low of a flash point is a fire hazard because ignition may continue and lead to explosion.

Autoignition temperature is the temperature at which a substance can be brought to flames without any sort of external force, such as a flame or spark. There are three different types of diesel fuel. These are Diesel No. 1, Diesel No. 2, and Diesel No. 4. The ignition temperature of Diesel fuel No.1 ranges from 450 to 602 Kelvin, Diesel fuel No. 2 ranges from 527 to 558 Kelvin, and Diesel fuel No .4 is 536 Kelvin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: