4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Sourcing Front Crank Oil Seal 3.1TD Bighorn 4JG2 Eng Code

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cestria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:37    Post subject: Sourcing Front Crank Oil Seal 3.1TD Bighorn 4JG2 Eng Code Reply with quote

I've got a 94 Bighorn, with 147km. I know it had had a timing belt at 100k. I had a small leak from the front crank seal so thought I'd do both.

I ordered a seal from our local parts, they supplied asingle lip plain seal.

I stripped the job down and found that the seal was a "special" the inner was a metal sleeve, fitted to the crank, the outer fitted to the housing and the two parts revolve around each other like a bearing.

I assumed that the single lip seal would replace the special but having put back together I still have a leak.

Would you try to get the orginal special and do the job again or look for a leak from the sump?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:37    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

dxmedia

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try taking off the bottom sheilds, and washing down as much as the bottom of the engine as possible with gunk or a similar de greaser, then try to see where the oil leak is coming from once everything is clean...

01553 845 945
jonkem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you will have to expose the front whatever the leak turns out to be, probably safer under the circumstances to get the genuine seal & sleeve in your hand 1st.
Just to point out that if the shaft is worn where the original seal / sleeve was fitted, you may need to go for something like a speedy sleeve to correct the problem.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
weatio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 16:19    Post subject: rear crank seal problem Reply with quote

Hi everyone I'm really struggling to get hold of the tin sleeve the crank seal sits on . any idea's of a dealer wh will get me one
?
dannyboy0001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, i don't know if there's different types of these but i've just done my crankshaft oil seal with a milners one and it was a good fit. I did have a problem with my old passat when i fitted a new seal that it didn't go in square and carried on leaking on the new seal. I used an old wheel bearing to push mine in square on the trooper.
weatio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 19:28    Post subject: crank seal Reply with quote

Yes the Milner seal is fine but u need the metal sleeve for it to go on to thats the bit I'm missing
weatio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 19:58    Post subject: crank seal Reply with quote

Yes the Milner seal is fine but u need the metal sleeve for it to go on to thats the bit I'm missing
weatio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 19:58    Post subject: crank seal Reply with quote

dannyboy0001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

This metal sleeve is it the crankshaft centre or the crankshaft housing that you mean? Or am i missing something with mine? i took mine out and it was exactly the same as the milners one (mine may have been replaced before?) and it was a straight swap but it was awfully tight going in and i ended up using the bearing and the crank pulley to put it in square. I know on the camshaft there's 2 seals, 1 inner and one outer.
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think weatio means that there is a wear sleeve on the crank nose , its common kit part from some suppliers .I dont think its a dealer part.

weatio , you need to see what sizes are in on the seal you have and compare them to the crank diameter where the seal sits as the milners one may not need the sleeve.

If the inner seal lip  is lose on the crank nose the you need it but look at the old seal and the new one on the inner diameter first.
dannyboy0001

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, i'd definitely agree with that then as that would clear things up for me.
weatio

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:37    Post subject: crank sleave Reply with quote

Yep I know what u mean dribble but I've had two seals in it and the box of twice in three days I defo need the sleeve just cant get one
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

confusing post weatio  needs a rear seal and his post is added to an old post about a front seal the rear seal has a wear sleeve
and is available from the main dealer sold with the seal only
Grandad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

the part no for the rear seal is  8970491460 from 12/91to08/93
                                            8970715611 from 09/93 onwards
colbird

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 13:31    Post subject: seal sleeve Reply with quote

hello did you manage to get the  sleeve in the end as i have the same problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: