QuoteSeek - free to use insurance comparison site

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

ABS Warning light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 14:15    Post subject: ABS Warning light Reply with quote

Hi, I have a 1998 3.1TD LWB Citation with about 125K on the clock.
I've only had it about 6 months and have had no problems until now.

The ABS warning light has appeared on the dash.

This happened when driving normally and having not had to apply the breaks suddenly for quite a while (a couple of months perhaps).

Since the warning light appeared I've tried an emergency stop with no problems (I'm unsure whether the ABS kicked in, but it didn't 'feel' like)

Now I know very little about cars or their mechanics but have a few friends who could help out if the problem is simple enough so could someone point me in the right direction towards finding the fault please?
And is it a problem when the MOT's due, or is the fact that the car will still stop mean that it'll pass?
Having searched the forum it appears this might be a very expensive repair in which case I'll do without the ABS as long as it passes the MOT.

Thanks for any help

Sam
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 14:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

tich

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:25    Post subject: abs sensor Reply with quote

Hi Sami
Welcome to the club
Yes abs light on is an mot failure i know this because it happened to me.
I had to get a new abs sensor for my front wheel,you need to get a mechanic to see where your problem is i hope this helps.
Tich
harald

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

defo mot failure
it could just be rust the sensor is a magnet that senses the rim turning and any rust that brakes free will stick to sensor so just clean them also where the senser is reading of the disc clean any surface rust of it , if the rust is thick just use small hammer and it will tap off lump hammer not required Very Happy
martins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my abs light comes on (has done about 3 time in a just under a year )I stop,turn off ignition,pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times ,then cycle ignition on and off 3 times.light stays off brakes work ok.my mot is end of April.

Martins
jjcymru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

wheel sensors tend to get *beep* on them , have a look at the front cvs to see if theres muck on them.

otherwise pull the fuse for the abs and take out the bulb in the dash, youll go back to manual brakes then.
harald

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

if the car has abs it must work for mot , if no light comes on to do the first check on abs system when you turn key then it will fail so taking the builb out wont work unless mot people dont notice i would get it repaired it could save you a costly bump penny wise pound stupid
jjcymru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

trust me, they dont do abs tests in all the mots ive been in.

try and find a garage with a single axle brake tester, which many only have and youll be fine if you take the bulb out!
Sam1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the replies - great forum Very Happy

martins - I've just had a go at the method you suggested and it seems to have worked!
I realise this may be only a temporary fix, but at least it get rid of the damn warning light off the dash.

I haven't had a chance to have a look at the sensor to see if it's covered in muck but hopefully when I do it will be the problem.

If it's of any use to anyone the ABS light was coming on when the ignition was turned on the the car was doing its 'checks'. Then it was going off as if all was ok, but then coming back on about 10-20 seconds later.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies, now to just try to find the sensor (I did tell you that I'm mechanically challenged Laughing )

Sam
rfairbairn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

martins wrote:
When my abs light comes on (has done about 3 time in a just under a year )I stop,turn off ignition,pump the brake pedal 3 or 4 times ,then cycle ignition on and off 3 times.light stays off brakes work ok.my mot is end of April.

Martins

Mine comes on prior to MOT now also. 2 in a row! I'm looking forward to trying your technique and see if it helps.

Last time I paid 75 pounds for an auto electrician to look at it. "It went ok by itself so I just cleaned the sensors." he said as he pocketed my cash.

R
Software for Blind Computer Users
--
View user's profile Send personal message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: