All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Diesel fuel preheating system

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arithon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:06    Post subject: Diesel fuel preheating system Reply with quote

Found this selling on our local auction site:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Car-parts-accessories/Other-accessories/auction-53794882.htm

Seemed quite interesting, so I did some more poking around and found this patent:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4343283.html

Effectively by pre-heating the fuel before it runs through the injection pump, it burns more effectively thereby giving you better mpg. The 2 links above show two different methods of preheating, the patented one a little bit more specific in terms of best temperature etc.

Thoughts from anyone?

Jon
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:06    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

jonkem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't see the 2nd link?

The 1st one is a version of the pre heater that can be used for heating veg oil before you let it get into the pump to stop it clogging. Don't know if it would make that much difference to the diesel though?

Looks simple to make so it would be iteresting to hear from anyone who has tried it.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
jjcymru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

just get one off a renault 19 turbo diesel, water pipes to and from a circular shaped object that goes round the diesel filter.
Arithon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try clicking on the PDF Images link on the second link, mroe info there.

The seller on the auction is indicating anywhere between 7 and 22% increased economy. Of course he is a seller, so grain of salt type thing.

Wish I knew what a renault 19 turbo diesel was, we don't get a lot of euro cars here in NZ.

Jon
markymoan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renault also go under the name Dacia, i dont know if that helps.

Back to this pre-heat thing, for the first one to work the engine would have to be hot allready Confused Shocked

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've gathered on this topic in the short time I've owned my '96 Wizard (4JG2)....

Some vehicles come from the factory with these same type systems. Its to facilitate startup in below freezing temps. IIRC, they do not activate unless it is cold enough, even if you press the button.

My Wizard has what appears to be a manual choke knob, as well as a preheater switch. Of course, I don't know for sure, my manuals are in Nihongo! Laughing

As for needing to keep diesel hot so it burns completely, is it really necessary since the amount of diesel can be controled at the injector pump? You can easily lean out or add diesel, and how much you're burning is evident by the exhaust out the back. With diesel, isn't it as simple as, you're burning all the diesel or you're not, regardless of what temp it is delivered at?

'96 Isuzu Wizard 3.1TD
jonkem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shorts, I think this is a different thing altogether. It's not to preheat the engine or adjust the mixture but an attempt at improving the efficiency of the engine by using warm fuel rather than cold.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Arithon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats right jonkem, nothing to do with startup at all, obviously the first won't work unless the engine has warmed up, but according to the patent in the second one, if fuel is delivered at beteen 140 and 150 degrees F (but not more than 150) it will burn more efficiently.

Same amount of fuel going in, same mixture but burning a bit better/cleaner

Jon
dani4JB1T

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year i was thinking how to build a preheater device. This is pretty helpful. thanks.

8)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Engines All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: