All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Fli-vibe amp voltage issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mevsy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 15:52    Post subject: Fli-vibe amp voltage issue Reply with quote

Afternoon folks!
Just wondering if anyone could help, got a fli-vibe amp, running fine with the engine off, or everything electrical, spot lights, heated seats etc on. But as soon the engines on without any other gadgets drawing power it cuts into power protection mode, so it would appear anything over 13-13.5v is too much for it to cope with. So I was wondering if the electrical gurus out there would have any ideas on how to decrease the voltage going to the amp? It's currently running through an external fuse box, fed directly from the aux battery. Far from knowledgable on this one so all advice will definitely be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance for any input!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 15:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats your voltage reading with engine running and all electrics off (ideally measured with a multimeter) shouldn't really be over 14.4v if much more then yer alternator voltage regulator is likely goosed and the voltage protection on yer amp is cutting in. Had the same prob with the stereo in a previous Trooper - the only way I could get the stereo to work was to leave the heated mirrors on lol.
Mevsy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage is 13.8v on idle, getting up to about 14.8v when driving, wasn't sure if this would calm down as the alternator is only a couple of months old, normally when it's getting higher the heated mirrors go on lol! Had a look whilst the multimeter was attached and as soon as it passed 13.3v the amp cut out, tried a few times and this seemed to be the average. Little frustrating as if I forget to kill the amp it'll suddenly kick in when the spotlights go on at night and scare the *beep* outta me, great bass but a helluva surprise lol. Was wondering if there's any circuitry I could introduce to keep a constant 12v or at least ease up the voltage iv got now lol.
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the amp is cutting out at 13.3, I would be inclined to think the problem is in the amps circuitry rather than the supply. Can you check it in another car, or better still get the supplier to check it for you? You could (theoretically) put a voltage regulator in the power supply but given that the amp is likely to be drawing (probably, depending on the model) somewhere in the region of 20 amps the cost would likely be prohibitive.
Mevsy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for your help on this one! Il take it out one evening this week then and try it in my brothers car, hopefully should give an idea of what's going on, otherwise il take your advice and get in touch with fli and see what they can think of lol! I was contemplating trying to make a bit of a variable resistor using some guitar electrics, upping the size of the connections and wiring and sealing it all, whether this is a little too far fetched I'm not sure lol, otherwise buying one, as you say, may be a little too expensive! Thanks for all your input, il keep staring at it until something springs to mind lol! Was thinking of using a relay to activate it, but I'm guessing the coil will do little to drop the overall voltage?
kennymac
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mevsy wrote:
Cheers for your help on this one! Il take it out one evening this week then and try it in my brothers car, hopefully should give an idea of what's going on, otherwise il take your advice and get in touch with fli and see what they can think of lol! I was contemplating trying to make a bit of a variable resistor using some guitar electrics, upping the size of the connections and wiring and sealing it all, whether this is a little too far fetched I'm not sure lol, otherwise buying one, as you say, may be a little too expensive! Thanks for all your input, il keep staring at it until something springs to mind lol! Was thinking of using a relay to activate it, but I'm guessing the coil will do little to drop the overall voltage?

Wouldn't work as the supply/demand doesn't run through the coil on a relay, the coil is what makes/breaks the circuit by closing/opening the contacts.
Mevsy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok then, nothing like inventing my own theory on how a relay works lol, spose it a step up from magic lol! Il keep trawling t'interweb for now then and see if there any other strange methods of sorting this out! Cheers for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: