2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Suspension Lift Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveforster9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:15    Post subject: Suspension Lift Question Reply with quote

Hi guys

Recently replaced my shocks with some Monroe Adventurers - massive difference - vehicle feels really solid now. (thanks to all who responded on previous post Laughing )

After some off-roading at the weekend I have now decided that I definitely do not have enough ground clearance & I need to do something about a bit of a suspension lift. I was planning on replacing the rear springs & winding up the front suspension - then taking it to the garage to get the front geometry re-set. Thinking about maybe 2" of lift front & rear.

Question is: how much lift can I safely get before my brand new shocks are too short - any ideas please Question

1999 3.0DT LWB
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Paul Rainbow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing that raises the centre of the car (about 1.5 inches before the front becomes too bouncey to drive) which is good, but bigger tyres help to keep the lower arms of the IFS and the lowest bit of the rear springs out of the ruts a bit more.
SD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Bigger tyres is a good starting point. I intend using the standard landie tyre 235/85/16 which gives a diameter of 792mm (roughly) or 255/75/16 lower profile meaning less role giving a diameter of 775mm.

Obviously changing sizes causes differences in speedo / diff gearing ratios.

Simon
Paul V

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

265.70.16s are pretty much standard down under. Getting the max lift from your wheels/tires combo is the simplest way to increases your diff to ground clearance (and the diff is inevitiably the point that you hang up) .. body lifts ultimately affect a vehicles stability and expodentially increase your chances of roll overs...

Cheers Paul V
kIWI DOWN UNDER
snowjunkie

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions, one sensible and one dumb.

#1 (reasonably sensible)
Are there many places where a speedo can be recalibrated once bigger tyres are installed, or is this not really worthwhile?

#2 (dumb - be gentle...)
Presumably I have to buy bigger rims to have bigger tyres; the tyres themselves aren't just wider from wheel rim to edge, are they?
markymoan

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about no1
but i run 265/70/15 on mine, i dont think the rim size is an issue its the overall size once fitted.
I'm on toyota rims so i dont know about the standard isuzu,
they have different distance from the nuts to the inner edge of the wheel

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowjunkie:

#1...not worth it at all. The difference in speedo reading is negligible so allow 10% under reading for the benefit of speed cameras. I run 238/85/16s and have never been flashed by a speed camera & I don't drive very slowly Twisted Evil

#2...using the example of 235/85/16. You will need 16" rims and a minimun rim width of 7" so the wheel code will be something like 7j16.
If like markymoan you run 265/70/15, you need 15" rims and a rim width of 7 or 7.5" so wheel code something like 7.5j15.

Clear as mud I know but as an idea, 235/85/16 has an overall dimension of 806mm and 265/71/15 is 752mm. Therefore you get 27mm more ground clearance with the 235.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: