Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Water in fuel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 20:40    Post subject: Water in fuel Reply with quote

Hi guys. So my 3 litre trooper packed up on Tuesday after running rough and low on power all day Monday. Got it back home, had a look and found the diesel filter all gunged up, easy fix or so i thought, put the new one on, started to bleed the fuel and i noticed that it was coming out milky. The car will run fine if I run it off fresh diesel from a container. I havent checked the fuel return pipe yet to see if contaminated fuel is going back to the tank. Ive had a quick scoot around the forum with injector sleeves and head / head gasket the prime suspects. Coolant seems ok as is oil level. Just wondering what everyone's best guess was, thanks in advance
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 20:40    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if you know you have filled up from a decent fuel station and you haven't been wading through rivers then the other way is it's putting it's coolant in to the fuel tank via the lower o ring on the injector sleeves
buz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Ethan. So I pulled the injector sleeves today. Very impressed with myself as it took 5 minutes using a hilti expander bolt and a tyre lever. Was then further buoyed by finding that a couple of the o rings looked pitted and split. Thought I would then look down the bores with a torch only to find a shiny reflection staring back at me in three of the bores. Am i correct to assume that I am actually looking down into the bores and that this is abnormal after pulling sleeves or does some liquid leak down into the cylinder ( did drain coolant out before sleeve removal )
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get some coolant and fuel go down in to the cylinders and depending on how you removed the injectors, a lot or a little bit of oil would have gone down as well.
buz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your reply, its very comforting to have a Trooper expert on call Very Happy  Very Happy Do i need to get as much of the fluids out as possible.

Last edited by buz on Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:31; edited 1 time in total
eithan h

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its in the cylinders yes otherwise you will get hydraulic lock when you crank the engine which can cause damage,
buz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put the trooper back together today. Drained the tank , cleaned out the fuel lines, turned it over and about 30 seconds later it fired up with a massive cloud of smoke, which cleared, tickover a little lumpy for a while but soon settled. I ran it for half an with the diesel return pipe off and running into a bucket, the fuel ran clear, so connected it all back up and ran it around the village a few times and all seems ok. When i took it all apart down in the head there seemed to be alot of gungy diesel residue, I was wondering if anyone has any idea of the best thing to flush the engine with, or is it best just to use some coolant flush, also does anyone think that I will have problems in the near future with any of the hoses as after seeing how it has expanded the rad cap and lid on the expansion tank I think it may be advisable to possibly change some, many thanks in advance
eithan h

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 21:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a good feel and if it feels squishy then i change it, but if it feels normal then i leave it alone. i run a decent coolant flush through it a couple of times then add the coolant, you can never get it all out but you can get as much as possible out, i disconnect a pipe off the manifold and one off the heater box and just let a hose run through and out the bottom hose.
buz

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eithan, many, many thanks for your help and advice, hopefully the trooper will be revived but even if it isn't with your help we've had a good go, your a legend chap
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: