All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Shell Helix HX7 AF 5w/30

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_2jze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30    Post subject: Shell Helix HX7 AF 5w/30 Reply with quote

Hi All,

After spending months reading the forums and researching the 3.0td Trooper I finaly bit the bullet and picked mine up on Saturday after a long drive from London to Birmingham. Im happy with what I got and managed to get it cheaper because of a few issues which I can sort. Lukily after reading up on what to expect. I have confirmed all the recall work is done etc and just have a issue with the 4wd light flashing and not engaging 4wd, Although I can hear a click from one axel. Not sure which one yet but that can wait.
The reason im here today is because I have just spent money buying a service kit for it so I can be sure its using correct oil/filters etc. Basically I know its meant to use 5W/30 Fully synth and thats what I thought I was buying. I have since found a thread on a forum elsewhere stating that the Shell oil I have ordered is a -FAKE- Fully snthetic oil. Will this oil be ok or am I going to have to have an argument with Eurocarparts over this. It states that it is Fully Synthetic technology when I bought it but the wording is spurious.. I got 30% off so it worked out well but if you could let me know that would be great.

Im sure ill be starting a new thread at some point ref the 4wd after searching and reading the forum first so thanks in advance on helping with my first issue lol. Very Happy .   Its a 2000 (W)  SWB Trooper 3.0TD. Any help would be great.  Regards, Chris.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

chris_2jze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Anybody have any ideas.?
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome
I done the same thing about 5 services ago but only read about it like you have AFTER doing the service  Rolling Eyes
Anyway I left it in but changed it at around the 4000 mile mark but to be honest it was fine and the truck run well on it.
haven't used it since mind.
As it's your first service be sure to change both oil filters as well as the fuel and air

think it's the left hand side actuator that doesn't engage but there are several posts about it

David ltm47
chris_2jze

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew that's ok then. Thanks for your reply.  I'll change it earlier than usual next time round then. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't really bad to use.  I have read the thread explaining the 4wd system so just need to get under it properly and have a listen. Tbh it can run like it is for the time being.
rich31td

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you mean it is fake synthetic because it is a group III hydro-cracked oil instead of Group IV/V PAO Ester synthetics?

There is nothing wrong with hydro-cracked synthetics as long as you dont pay more than you would for a Group IV/V.
I wouldn't get to hung up on it as most people who run the 3.0 recommend regular oil changes anyway.
chris_2jze

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just meant that it states with synthetic technology not that it's a fully synthetic or part synthetic oil.
rich31td

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how is it fake?
chris_2jze

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spurious use of synthetic technology rather than fully or part synthetic. And it being in the section in shops of synthetic oils. I really don't want to get into an argument about it as you are obviously massively knowledgeable about the subject so I'll take your advice and make sure I don't pay too Much for it which I didn't. Thanks.
rich31td

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris_2jze wrote:
The spurious use of synthetic technology rather than fully or part synthetic. And it being in the section in shops of synthetic oils. I really don't want to get into an argument about it as you are obviously massively knowledgeable about the subject so I'll take your advice and make sure I don't pay too Much for it which I didn't. Thanks.

I don't mean to get into an argument, by reading your post I got the impression that the supplier called this particular oil "fully synthetic" this would be false advertisement but this was not the case?

I suppose it is a little spurious when oil makers change the descriptions, I am guessing that Shell now call a semi-synthetic, synthetic technology and everything else is fully synthetic.
To make things worse oil makers can call a group III hyrdrocracked oil a fully synthetic when in fact it isn't, and charge the same as a true group IV synthetic which costs more to make.
Not that there is anything wrong with group III oils, just I wouldn't want to be paying more for it than a better group IV synthetic, this is what I meant about getting it for the right price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Fuel, oil, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: