All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

dumb newbie brakes question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 16:44    Post subject: dumb newbie brakes question Reply with quote

OK. i've just changed the front pads on my 1990 2,8TD today.

first time i've done brakes on my trooper - used to be a landy man until i got sick of pouring money down the drain! - so, while i know one end of a spanner from the other, bear in mind my trooper is a jap import, with the associated lack of documentation that entails and consider me a "dumb newbie" for the purposes of this thread. Smile

anyway, first thing i notice is that the trooper has a hinged caliper. nice touch! - undo a bolt, swing the caliper up out of the way, fit the new pads and swing the caliper back down into position. much less hassle than the dismantling practically the whole *beeb*' brake housing, which i'm used to.

only problem is, the old pads were almost worn down to the steel, so when i fit the new ones, the caliper disnae want to go back in position without a fight. not such a problem on the piston side, as i just could just undo the bleed nipple and push the piston back in, but on the non-piston side, the fit was very tight. so much so that the pad is pressing hard against the disc and -while i can still turn the wheel by hand - it ain't exactly "free moving".

i've had a good look round the caliper and brake assembly and i cannae for the life of me find anything that looks remotely like it would adjust the tension of the caliper against the disc. so [finally! Very Happy ] my dumb newbie questions...

if the brakes aren't self-adjusting, can somone point me in the direction of the adjuster? [i can post photos if needed]

if the brakes are self-adjusting, is it normal for the wheel to feel this tight, until they have adjusted?

[off for a tentaative spin round the block now, to see if the pads bed in... or the wheels start glowing red hot!]
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 16:44    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

:::Matski:::
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

See the naff handbrake thread.

There are some pages from the hand book that will help re ajustment.
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its called a floating caliper, as well as hinge up it should also slide off the pin, maybe theres a bit of muck in there stopping it.
I would slide the caliper off then clean and grease the pin Smile

Ps. i take it you mean the front

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

markymoan wrote:
...Its called a floating caliper, as well as hinge up it should also slide off the pin...

ah!

thanks. in that case that's where the problem lies. i did wonder if the pin was fixed, or if it should slide off, but it wouldnae budge - even when i gave it a few hefty taps with a mallet. it must be well seized.

methinks the "scientific approach" [ie. a can of plusgas, a large hammer and some mindless violence] is called for. Evil or Very Mad
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pin also has a thinner part near the bottom, that is were it will snap Rolling Eyes
If it does you are into £70 for a caliper and £6.50 for a pin.
I did it the other day Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 17:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

ouch! - maybe i'll double the amount of plusgas and halve the amount of mindless violence, then!
Philp

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agood soak in plus gas and lots of wiggling and tapping and after that a good clean up, remove any rust with some emery or replace the pins if really bad and then lots of coppergrease.

The piston actually screws back into the caliper rather than pushes, I use a pair of mole grips and twist it around with them.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 17:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup my bar and lump hammer did it no good at all Sad

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after a quick nip to B&Q for a new blowtorch [my old one seems to have gone 'walkabout'], i spent the best part of an afternoon, alternately giving the caliper a good roasting and then smacking it with a lump-hammer to try and shift it off the pin - a task not made any easier by the fact that it seemed cunningly designed so it would never sit at quite the right angle to hit properly. Evil or Very Mad

after a long unsuccesful battle and, as a last resort, i gave the caliper another good blast with the blowtorch, flipped it over and smacked it from the other side [so pushing it further onto the pin]. to my delight and delictation, it finally moved, sliding right down onto the pin. and from there, now that it had moved, i was able to flip the caliper over again and [not without some serious hammer work] finally knock the bloody thing off the pin. and the other one submitted to the same technique too Very Happy

incredible how tenacious a tiny bit of rust can be! - the pin and its orifice [ooh! er!] in the caliper had the tiniest coating of rust, which came off with a couple of rubs of wire wool, after which i could slide the caliper would slide on and of the pin with no force at all. incredible how a fraction of a mm of rust could have resisted several hours severe pounding with a lump hammer!

oh well, another epic battle for the "boring motoring anecdotes" collection - and my trooper no longer needs the length of a fotoball field to stop in! Wink

thanks for the helpful advice, folks!
markymoan

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll remember to knock it on rather than off next time,
Glad you did it and thanks for the info Very Happy
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah a good point that, this works with nuts too.

Crack them by tightening first.

It's the sort of thing that you learn but don't necessarily remember when you see these threads.

Nice one, now don't forget the grease........
Suckin' Diesel Baby!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Suspension / chassis / steering / brakes / wheels / tyres All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: