2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

sing me a song of veg oil in a 3.1 trooper

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chikoroll

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57    Post subject: sing me a song of veg oil in a 3.1 trooper Reply with quote

I love the smell of chip shops, so I am considering running veg oil in my trooper when I am finished the conversion.
I have some questions - big cheers to those who reply Smile

I live in Queensland, Australia, temperature range is 6-14c in winter, 30-44c in summer.

I have timing gears instead of a timing belt. (unsure if this is of relevance)
I have 2 fuel tanks

- Am I better running diesel in one tank, and veg in the other?

- What are the risks?

- How does it affect performance?

- How does it affect torque?

- How does it affect fuel economy?

- What will long term usage result in?

- Do I just pour in regular off the shelf vegetable oil?
- How do other variants of oil go down? - such as rice oil, peanut oil, sesame oil, etc....

- Should I alter the service schedule for this?

Any other info will of course be handy too Smile
98 Holden Jackaroo LWB, 3.0T/D (Australia)
94 Holden Jackaroo LWB, 3.1T/D (Australia)
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:57    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

B1GH0RN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at this site. www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk, you'll find everything you need to know. From my understanding the Isuzu runs very well on straight veg oil. Hope it helps.
ChrisDS

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,  We have been running our 1994 Bighorn on Rapeseed Oil since July this year first as a percentage and then increased the amount to 100%.  We changed the fuel filter a very easy job, and ran her on 100% until the temperature dropped and she stopped running one day.  A quick restart and we pulled into a local filling station and filled her up with diesel.  We are going to top up with Rapeseed in the next day or so, without waiting to run her low, then try her on 50/50 until it gets really cold.  I don't want to risk waxing when the temperature drops really low, better safe than sorry.

What year is your Isuzu?  As some of the newer ones have fuel management systems on them that don't like running on Vegetable Oil.

You can run on any kind of liquid vegetable oil they are all about the same calorific value, but if you do make sure you change the fuel filter as vegetable oil tends to clean the system and all the gunk get stuck there, and it's wise to keep a second filter handy just incase you suffer a blockage. As to the oils you mention they could work out a lot more costly.

We have noticed a small drop in power but it's not a major problem.  As far as MPG we can't say, it's a case of when the fuel level drops top it up it's way to tedious to spend time working out what you get to the litre/gallon after all she's a 3.1 litre turbo you're not going to get the same MPG as a 2495cc Land Rover diesel engine of the same era.
KKW

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running my '92 Bighorn on veg oil since July and haven't had any problems at all. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet, although I've got one ready to go on when it's needed. I haven't noticed any drop in power or loss of mpg.

Up until a few weeks ago I was using 100% oil but as it gets colder I'm reducing it to 50/50.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: