All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

lift ideas and help please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crestofawave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:28    Post subject: lift ideas and help please Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Hope you can help me here. I have a 92 trooper 3.1 TD, she goes off road really well as standard I was very surprised at her capabilities compared to a standard landy, she is much better, but, I want to lift her up so she is a bit more capable Smile.
Now, although money does grow on trees I haven't that many money trees, so I'm after a guide here to help me make the most of what I have.
This is my current idea, please feel free to correct me Smile.
I see body lift kits on fleabag, 2inch high rubber or ally spacers and bolts, my thinking is use these first to get body higher up, then fit bigger three,( how big?)
I also see suspension lifts again 2inch, 4shocks and 2 springs I assume using either method will result in the same,? A lifted body to get bigger three in to lift the axles up being the lowest point.
What is standard procedure to lift, for example if I do a body lift, then bigger tires 33s? I will have improved ground clearance from the tires and the body will have risen In the archs to acomodate the bigger tyres as well.
If later on I save up and get a suspension lift then I guess I will have a total of a 4 inch lift requiring even bigger tyres? Or do u keep the same and just have more arch clearance, I would I guess at 4inch need longer brake hoses  and do something on the front.
I realize that a body lift will need the bumpers lifted as well.
Thanks for your help, and sorry for a long first post Smile
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:28    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

crestofawave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm sorry for extra post couldn't see an edit button, the paragraph after fleabag should be bigger tyres not threes.
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, the cheapest and easiest lift is
2inch spacers on the rear no need to change shocks or extend brake lines and 265 75 16 or 31 10.5 15 tyres wind up front torsion bars, This is how the wifes 3.0ltr is set up and works well enough and has been on several ITOC outings in the peaks no problem

these are the spacers that are fitted to this truck spring spacers add height but dont do anything for flex.

Or You could buy as I have done for my 3.1 a pair of bloodred +2 springs at 170 odd quid or with some fiddling you could fit landy springs
and 265 tyres, then at a later date you can then add a 2 inch body lift then +2 shocks and 285 /33s tyres this is now reaching the brake line limits any higher and the front end starts to get more involved with ball joint flips ect
my standard bighorn when I bought it last year

and how it is now on my alloys (because they have a good off-set) shod with 285 75 16 +2 springs +2 body longer OME shocks rear anti roll bar removed
this isn't max flex either Wink

David ltm47
crestofawave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great info thanks for that, much easier and cheaper than I thought, you wouldn't recommend the body lift first then as it would need the longer shocks?
Where would I get the spring spacers,and may sound silly but they don't just fall out?
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 0:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

crestofawave wrote:
That's great info thanks for that, much easier and cheaper than I thought, you wouldn't recommend the body lift first then as it would need the longer shocks?
Where would I get the spring spacers,and may sound silly but they don't just fall out?

there are some spacers, similar to mine on flea bay and no mine have never fallen out they fit inside the top of the coil, that rubber bit is on top of your coil refit it to the top of the spacer  Wink
IMO sussy lift trumps body lift but if your only doing a 2 inch body then you wont need longer shocks, 3 inch body lift starts stretching things and you would really need to add the shocks at that height, you may also find that the 285---33s may not fit very well depending on tread pattern rim off-set ect, so to start with the easier route would be sussy lift

David ltm47
crestofawave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help, much appreciated, so, Ill go for the spacers and front torsion route, if later I go for 2"  body lift I'll add the shocks, will the spacers still be OK or should I replace with proper 2" over springs.
Really grateful for the help, first trooper so don't want to do it wrong, doing away with the rear anti roll bar? Is that OK, like it doesn't affect it on road? We go a long way on hols with the family in her so want it safe:). Or just need to go slower round sharp bends.
Oh any one got a second hand snorkel lol,.
crestofawave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found 2 spacers on fleabay, one appears hollow powder coated steel, the other solid aluminium, i can’t post the links yet so is there a preference or one better than the other
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the powder coated 1's are also used by the Frontera lot and I know some who are using the without issues,
Springs are better than spacers because there is more spring to stretch and compress but the gain is minimal really, leave your anti roll bar alone for now, that's something that can wait for the time when and if you really get into off-roading and lifting your truck.
To be honest you may well find the spacers and 265 tyres are more than adequate for your needs, it is on the wifes 3.0ltr which I used to play in, it was only because I got a bargain that I upped the anti and have turned it into a big boys toy  Laughing

David ltm47
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

O and second hand sonrkels are like hens teeth Wink

David ltm47
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Trooperdan on here may still have a good set of 265 muds on rims at a good price if you like just PM him

David ltm47
gt-nick
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice snorkel dave....... Very Happy  Very Happy  Cool  

Wink
crestofawave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save starting diff threads, I have ordered my 50mm spacers, should be here by end of week! Yippee
Now used to use insas on the landy years ago so going with insa special tracks, like baby tractors wheels lol,
If I can afford to get some steels, what width do I need? I see the 16s at 6,7,and 8" for the 265 75s.(any one got 4 second hand?)
Also when I add the spacers, where is the best place to measure to for reference? Ground to arch?
Thanks guys Confused
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

crestofawave wrote:
Save starting diff threads, I have ordered my 50mm spacers, should be here by end of week! Yippee
Now used to use insas on the landy years ago so going with insa special tracks, like baby tractors wheels lol,
If I can afford to get some steels, what width do I need? I see the 16s at 6,7,and 8" for the 265 75s.(any one got 4 second hand?)
Also when I add the spacers, where is the best place to measure to for reference? Ground to arch?
Thanks guys Confused

That's the make Dans selling on steels  Wink  Dan's number 07908517708
I would measure from centre of hub to top of inner arch
start spraying the 27 mm torsion bolt nuts with wd now they are located under the front seats under the (truck)  Wink

David ltm47
DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt-nick wrote:
nice snorkel dave....... Very Happy  Very Happy  Cool  

Wink

Right place , right time,  Laughing  Laughing fitted a treat Mate  Cool

David ltm47
crestofawave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes heard they could be *beep*'s, I have pm Dan, but postage may be a killer as we are to far away to pick up I think, won't be putting boots on till next week so plenty of time, till after I done the lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: