2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Think my water pump has gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fingers

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 15:50    Post subject: Think my water pump has gone Reply with quote

While driving to work the other night I noticed the temp gauge had gone off the scale.
Stopped and checked water/oil level and all the belts and everything was fine.

Finished off the journey as the car was running fine.

Checked the temp gauge after work and it still is of the scale even before I start the engine. No worries then thinks I just the gauge gone.

Been a bit paranoid since so keep checking the water level's and noticed the overflow tank water has turned black (PANIC) but water in rad is still clear as ice (disengage panic mode, engage confused mode. I undid the top water hose and started the engine, when cold there is no water flow (I haven’t tried it when hot yet)

Would this indicate that my water pump has packed out? And where is the temp gauge on an M reg 3.2 V6 so I can replace that?

Thanks for any advice

Jim

Pain is temporary. Pride is forever!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 15:50    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Philp

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

You won't notice any waterflow when cold as the t-stat will be shut, if it has a cap on the rad run it up to temperature with the cap off and you should see flow across the rad when it gets up to temp and the t-stat opens, or remove the t-stat temporarily ans do the same.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jonkem

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

What engine? The most likely cause of the meter deflection is the temp sender / connection. The water in the expansion tank will have been sitting for a long time so is likely to have discoloured, also the bad colour maybe staining inside the tank from previous engine cooling issues.
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
Philp

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, if the water in the rad is clear as ice then that says to me it's pure water, which is a bad thing. If so drain it, flush the rad and engine and get it refilled with the appropriate mix of water and coolant/anti-freeze. This gives corrosion protection to the engine and also increases the boiling point.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
jonkem

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are dead right Philip, but........ always check system thoroughly before filling with antifreeze, just incase you need to drain it again to repair something Smile (been there & done that Embarassed )

Not too good to throw it down the drain unescesarily, enviromentally or financially Idea
2000 Astra Estate (work)
2006 VXR Astra
MK1 SR Nova
turboDIESELtrooper

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also doesn't hurt to flush out your whole cooling system after you have drained the existing coolant from your system. That way you can flush out the system pretty well and unclog any passages with hot water from a garden hose. It's a great idea I recommend to do and then you go about filling the system back up with a good ratio mix of coolant and preferably distilled water. Hope this helps.

Salvy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: