All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Warn ignition key operation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GWALLISON

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:31    Post subject: Warn ignition key operation Reply with quote

I am having an issue with my (1997 3.1 lwb) trooper in that when the ignition key is inserted it is often difficult to turn. I suspect that the lock barrel and/or the key is worn, as you can feel the movement of the key, discs and cylinder when trying to turn the key. The last time this happened I was nearly a minute trying to get the key to turn the ignition on. Once turned the key/switch operates fine without problem. We have two other trooper’s in the family and they have no such problem. This is why the difference is so noticable. A further issue is that I only have one key that is programmed to turn off the immobiliser.

I think I may need a new lock cylinder and keys but that will involve getting the keys programmed to work with the immobiliser. but hopefully not a complete steering lock assembly.

I am loath to take any of our troopers to the local (Tewkesbury) main dealers as I have had poor expensive service in the past and for some time now due to health issues I am much less able with the spanners etc.

Could anyone recommend a solution, or a good garage where I could get this issue sorted, not too far from me in Gloucester.

Any help appreciated.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

darren m

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you looked into getting a new key cut and programmed ,  lock might be ok but key is worn

i only have the one key for mine also , i asked a local key cutter if he can duplicate these keys .
he took my key and placed it in a reader and it read the transponder ok.

not had it cut yet as i,m a bit confused as to why it apparently costs hundreds to get replacement keys , but he said it would only be £40 all in

99 LWB 3.0 TD Citation

2000 LWB 3.0 / 3.1TD Duty conversion
GWALLISON

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for response.

I overlooked the spare second key which is all metal with no plastic to house a transponder which I had put away as it can't be used to start the car. Having found this key it seems to work the ignition switch/steering lock fine. So I forgot the obvious  Embarassed  Darren M seems to have got the diagnostics sorted for me. Very Happy

So I have a duff transponder key and a good cut key without a transponder. What is the best/cheapest way to now get a fully working key and spare? The £40 a key seems good value compared to some prices I've heard off which are nothing short of dealers printing money because your over a barrel

Any ideas please would be most welcome as to save some money it is worth travelling a few miles to the next county. As stated before I don't rate my local main dealer who i have had a bad experience with.
para2298

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local timpsons read the old key and made a new coded key for my 97 trooper for less than £40 and it works perfectly.
MikT725

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 13:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried starting with the spare key and with the transponder key near the ignition, mine doesnt have fancy stuff like this so i cant try it myself and arent sure how close the transponder actually has to be i.e would it work if the transponder was on the same keyring ??? just an idea
darren m

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure , i,m guessing your transponder key needs to be putting out a signal in order for them to read it .
i,d contact Timpsons mate , if you look on there webpage there are  a few in your area or other key cutting shops

is there a battery inside them ??, i ,m not sure as it looks totally sealed

i too got an empty key cut , just for unlocking the doors , steering .
it worked on its own ( but only a couple of times for some reason ) , when i put the working transponder key in the ignition then swaped it for the spare.
so maybe if they were on the same keyring it may.

99 LWB 3.0 TD Citation

2000 LWB 3.0 / 3.1TD Duty conversion
crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the old favourite of WD40 in the lock. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: