Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Towing with a Lwb Monterey 3.1td

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Da Gregsta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 19:22    Post subject: Towing with a Lwb Monterey 3.1td Reply with quote

I am bit confused...(generally, and regarding this specific issue!)

I have a Monterey 3.1 lwb here that I am planning to get on the road as my tow vehicle, sooner than my lifted 2.8 frontera.
I have a 3500kg rated Ifor williams beavertail trailer I was planning to use with this.
I was under the understanding that these trooperish cars could legally tow a 3.5t load, wheras the lwb frontera can only tow 2.8t, hence my reasoning for using the monterey as then I can tow a lwb 4x4 on the trailer.
But everywhere I seem to look it says these will only tow 2.6 tonne?

Can someone please clarify what this monterey is able to tow before I throw a load of money at it getting it fit as my tow wagon.

To be clear I have had a full licence since ages ago, and will be towing for recreational purposes not business if that makes a difference, and my trailer is braked.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 19:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

DAVID's J99P
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

should have a weight plate under the bonnet mate,cant read Japanese on the bighorn but my 3.0ltr says 3.5 ton  Wink

David ltm47
Da Gregsta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers fella... Cool
Checked the plate again and it reads...
GVW 2600 (which I am guessing is the maximum weight that car alone, load and passengers can be)
GCW 5600 which I am guessing is train weight?
Axle 1 1250 (front axle weight max)
Axle 2 1550 (rear axle weight max)

So do I need an unladen weight (with just fuel driver etc) and subtract that from the GCW?
I am guessing truck is just under 2 tonne ish so allowing 100kg for a driver and some fuel does that leave 3.5t, making it ok with my trailer?
If this is right then I should be ok with trailer at 800 kg + 2 tonne 4x4, plus me, 150kg of dogs in the truck, some fuel, a passenger and a yorkie or two for long journeys... Cool
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not neccesarily.

Your plate has GVW and GCW.

As you've guessed, GVW is Gross Vehicle weight, the maximum amount the car car weigh. GCW, again correctly guessed, is gross combination weight, ie the maximum permitted mass of the car and trailer.

Subtracting one from the other suggests a towing limit of 3 Tonnes.

The problem is that it doesnt then follow that if the car ISNT fully loaded, you can then tow more than three tonnes. The vehicle will also have a maximum towing weight, usually in the vehicle handbook (though i've just looked in the handbook for my '95 Monty and its not in there, it states that its in the "vehicle papers" whatever they are!

If this towing limit was 3200kg for example, then as you've suggested, so long as the car itself isnt loaded up, then you can tow a slightly heavier trailer.
If the towing limit is 3000kg, then regardless of the vehicle loading, you cant exceed 3t.

Having said all that, most 4x4's are under 2 tonnes empty, and your trailer will be less than 1tonne empty, so a 4x4 on your beavertail will likely comfortably fit inside the 3T limit anyway.
Da Gregsta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that...
What about this stuff that you cant tow a trailer whoms gross weight exceeds the towing weight of the vehicle towing it, even when empty? Heard that a few times, dunno how true it is...
I have a towbar on my mondeo estate, and it would comfortably tow the trailer empty or with a very light load. I have before collected 4x4's from miles away in the back of beyond by towing a car trailer with my vw caddy, and then sticking the caddy on the trailer and towing it back with the 4x4. I heard this is now illegal, and as such the towing weight of my monterey should be greater than the gross permissable weight of the trailer to tow it even empty.
This might be rubbish, or European meddling...I dunno...Just dont want to go down the route of investing a load into something I cant legally use.
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Gregsta wrote:
Cheers for that...
What about this stuff that you cant tow a trailer whoms gross weight exceeds the towing weight of the vehicle towing it, even when empty? Heard that a few times, dunno how true it is...
I have a towbar on my mondeo estate, and it would comfortably tow the trailer empty or with a very light load. I have before collected 4x4's from miles away in the back of beyond by towing a car trailer with my vw caddy, and then sticking the caddy on the trailer and towing it back with the 4x4. I heard this is now illegal, and as such the towing weight of my monterey should be greater than the gross permissable weight of the trailer to tow it even empty.
This might be rubbish, or European meddling...I dunno...Just dont want to go down the route of investing a load into something I cant legally use.

Thats if you dont have B+E on your driving licence.

Before 1997 people got +E (the trailer entitlement) automatically when passing their driving test.
After 1997, you need to sit an additional test to be able to get the +E category (i've just sat mine last week)

Without +E you can still tow things, but your restricted basically to small trailers and small caravans, and part of the rules say the trailers plated weight must be less than the tow vehicles kerb weight.

If you have +E none of that applies, and given what you want to tow, you will need +E anyway, so check your licence, as if its not there, you'll need to do the test.
Da Gregsta

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankfully ( for once) I am old...so have +E on my licence as I passed my test at least 25yrs back....

Cheers for the info
MikeQ

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've also got a LWB Monterey, 1998 3.1TD.
The plate under the bonnet has the following figures:-
GVW    2730 kg
GCW    5730 kg
Axle 1  1250 kg
Axle 2  1630 kg

So assuming the vehicle is fully loaded (2730 kg) I'd assume I'd be able to to tow up to 3000 kg
According to the manual it has a kerb weight of 1985 kg, so f it was pretty empty with just some fuel and me giving a kerb weight of about 2100 kg, would I be able to tow up to 3630 kg?
Or is there a limit of 3500?

Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Caravan towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: