Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Removing centre console

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matthewrevell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 16:45    Post subject: Removing centre console Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a 2003 Trooper. I bought it recently and it has a replacement stereo, which is broken.

To remove the stereo, I know I need to remove the centre console. I've removed three screws (two above the stereo, one near the cigarette lighter). My local dealership says I then need to pull on the centre console and that I shouldn't worry about breaking a few clips because they can provide replacements.

Obviously I want to avoid breaking any clips Smile Does anyone have tips for how to remove the console without breaking clips?

Cheers all Smile

Matthew.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 16:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure the console needs to come out? I replaced the original tape unit in mine and it was a standard unit that could be removed with radio keys...
Philp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 17:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've just removed the *beep* old Clarion tape deck and stuck my nice JVC CD head unit in, it did help that I had a set of keys for the clarion as I had exactly the same unit in my old Mazda which went to the scrappeys and I hung ionto the keys.  You can get a set from Clarion or can buy a universal set from halfords.  Failing that nip to a local car audio place and bung them a few quid to pull it out.  Following that it was a straight plug and play of the new one.

96 or is it a 98 Isuzu Bighorn Lotus
matthewrevell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Beesley wrote:
Are you sure the console needs to come out? I replaced the original tape unit in mine and it was a standard unit that could be removed with radio keys...

This is a Roadstar unit that the previous owner used to replace the factory-fitted stereo. I popped into Halfords to buy some keys and they said I didn't need them, instead they reckoned I needed to remove the centre console.

Thing is, I'm sure the stereo is what's preventing the console from coming off! I'll have a fiddle with it this evening.

Thanks for the reply.
matthewrevell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philp wrote:
Yep, I've just removed the *beep* old Clarion tape deck and stuck my nice JVC CD head unit in, it did help that I had a set of keys for the clarion as I had exactly the same unit in my old Mazda which went to the scrappeys and I hung ionto the keys.  You can get a set from Clarion or can buy a universal set from halfords.  Failing that nip to a local car audio place and bung them a few quid to pull it out.  Following that it was a straight plug and play of the new one.

Yeah, cheers, I did ring a local audio place but they wanted £25 to remove it. "Can't be that hard," I thought to myself Smile
Chris B
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadstar are usually a standard DIN type fitment and should come out with regular keys...
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pop into your local motorfactors type place and they will sell you a set of keys that fit.

Failing that I get my ford ones out with a set of small screw drivers and a little wiggle Smile
TimBanham
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and you should be able to remove your centre console without breaking any clips as well.

If you also undo the screws at the bottom of your footwell around the gear lever you can then get this out of the way as well and then the whole centre console will lift forward (If memory serves me correctly there are more that 3 screws to undo to get the console out as well)
matthewrevell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I popped down to Halfords and got the keys for the radio. Bloke at Halfords offered to pull the unit out for me. He struggled for a while but it wouldn't budge. He was sure he had the right keys but didn't want to break anything, so stopped pulling when it seemed clear the unit wasn't going to move.

Are there likely to be a couple of bolts at the back, or something similar?

I no longer have the keys as the Halfords chap kindly put them back and didn't charge me, but I might go buy them and see if I can have another go.
matthewrevell

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

TimBanham wrote:
Oh and you should be able to remove your centre console without breaking any clips as well.

If you also undo the screws at the bottom of your footwell around the gear lever you can then get this out of the way as well and then the whole centre console will lift forward (If memory serves me correctly there are more that 3 screws to undo to get the console out as well)

Ah, more than three screws? Had a look in the car's handbook but, unsurprisingly, it didn't tell me where to find the screws. Not exactly normal driver behaviour.
jurrasic1412

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the console out on mine last week,,took the 4 out for the console around the gearsticks,,undid the gearknobs and pullked that right out of the way,,4 screws hold that in place,,2 in either footwell,,and a cable for the lecky mirrors etc to undo,,then there was 4 screws on the centre console to undo and out she popped,,,bringing the full radio etc with it,,,,

Should be 8 screws in total and a few wires to unplug for both consoles to come out,,,,
minimoog

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've followed the above advice with my curvy-dash MK3 but to no avail. Gear surround off and clear, and 3 screws on the radio console off (2 at the top, one down near the ashtray), and there's still no way it's coming off without breaking.

Any clues anyone? What am I missing?
HoonDevil

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

My radio (2001 trooper) was bolted in - you need to loosen the gear stick surround and then unscrew the centre console. This gives you enough room to unscrew the radio. I found and downloaded a workshop manual available via this site which saved me tearing my hair out. I can't post the link, as I'm a new boy, but it's in the technical FAQ section.
C.B.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

For stereo removal I usually use 1/1/2" wire nails, never let me down yet (Isuzu, Fiat, Mazda, Ford), but not infallable I guess.

If the stereo is sticky on a Mk3/Mk4 Isuzu then attempting to remove the lower dash (3 screws - 2 above radio and one beside the cigarette lighter) will not do the job alone.  If my memory serves me rights here how it goes:

Start by unscrewing the gear knobs, then unscrew the 4 screws (size 2 X head) holding the front centre console (1 either side at rear and front). Holding the rear end on the centre console on each side, gently pull up until the trim clips (2 off) release the rear end, continue lifing until the wiring gets tight, then disconnect any switches (option variable) by pushing the side clips on the wiring connectors and pulling them off the switches.  The centre console will now come off by pulling up and back from the rear.

The will now allow lower dash console removal, once you have removed the 2 screws above the radio and 1 beside the cigarette lighter (also size 2 X head).  There are spring clips here along the sides but if treated gently and evenly they should not 'pop' or break.  Crying or Very sad

Note that most audio units do exceed the width on the lower dash so when you have gone this way the unit(s) should also slide out with this bit of the dash! - now you can see the bits on the sides and decide on best way to remove!  Also note that this is best done with the + lead off the battery before you start!!!  Exclamation

Re-assembly is the reverse of above but do be careful with the gear knobs, shaft is steel and thread in knob is plastic, easy to cross-thread with off-centre shape & weight... Embarassed

Hope this is of help Smile
felixthelogchopper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to take out what I guess must be the original VDO CD 136 stereo to replace it with a Kenwood unit. Does anybody know if there are keys to fit or do I need to take the surround out?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> ICE All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: