All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Running water sound in passenger footwell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob5464

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 22:26    Post subject: Running water sound in passenger footwell Reply with quote

I have been having some overheating problems with my 3.0.

I checked it over today. Topped the water up and left it ticking over. To start with it was blowing air through the expansion pipe. After that it started pushing water out. A while after that I fair but of water started dripping down from the towing hook (drivers side).

I turned the engine off and eventually got the bash plate off. Couldn't see where it was dripping. I removed the thermostat and put some coolant flush in it.

Tomorrow I will remove the rad for a good inspection.

Something worth noting though; When the engine is on I can hear a running water sound in passenger footwell. However that carpet is not wet. Sometimes I can't hear it.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 22:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have the right level of coolant always - full rad and nearly half-full overflow-tank. Check that the seal-ring on the rad-cap is good - if it's leaky, then air will be drawn in  [instead of water from the overflow-tank]. This air will become pressurised when all is HOT and it'll blow out more water! Thus the water in the rad drops, then you'll get more air and so on! ANY leak in the system can draw-in air as the engine cools down and, of course, allow coolant OUT - so that's the second area to check [after checking the rad-cap].

Check that there's no smell of diesel in the coolant - and if the problem persists [after checking the rad-cap], then use a 'sniff-tester' to check the coolant for any hydrocarbon contamination. If THAT were positive - it'd probably mean a blown head-gasket and a fairly major engine-job.

The gurgling in the footwell also seems to imply AIR in the coolant-stream - as it should normally flow quietly.

Good Luck
rob5464

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it has been using water. I removed the stat and that helped alot. New one ordered from Milners. The rad cap looked ok visually but for the sake of a few quid I ordered a new one off eebuygum.  Had the Rad out today. The air con rad looked worse for wear but the cooling rad looked acceptable. I gave it a flush out and put it back.
Browndoff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK   "I gave it a flush out and put it back" So did I - several times - when I had cooling-system problems! it's NOT a guaranteed fix, I'm afraid. It really DOES NOT shift the limescale build-up in the radiator which can occur when some previous owner uses JUST WATER as a coolant!! [I'm #6 on my car!!]

If it's "using water" - you've got to find out  where's it leaking - or why it's blowing out of the vent-pipe! If it's 'cos the head-gasket is gone [and pressurising the system with exhaust-gases] - then you've got a relatively serious 'engine-problem'.

At best, a LEAK is allowing air to come in when the engine is cooling down - so first look EVERYWHERE for leaks!

"The air con rad looked worse for wear" - that may be only superficial damage to the external 'fins' used to transfer the heat from the coolant to the outside air. If so, it doesn't matter at all - you've got to look for signs of 'water-stains' on the outside - which would indicate a leak!
missing-snowman
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 0:56    Post subject: O-Ring Replacement Reply with quote

Bit late for OP but original issue of gurgling sound near glove compartment appears to match this post from Australia4wd forum.

one-more-very-important-o-ring-to-check-and-fix
http://forum.australia4wd.com/index.php?/topic/27763-nb-one-more-very-important-o-ring-to-check-and-fix/

Now where is the thermostat located?!  Embarassed
Browndoff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you're NOT kidding, the Thernmostat on MOST engines [Trooper, or otherwise] can be easily found by following the top-hose from the radiator back towards the engine-block, where it's usually in a dome-shaped metal housing.

This picture shows the  Thermostat-housing on the 3.0Litre engine on the top left, above the MAF-sensor [marked 'A']. To access the Thermostat itself - for testing or replacement - just remove the 2x10mm bolts and lift off the housing, leaving the housing still clipped onto the radiator-hose.

[img]http://s1285.photobucket.com/user/Mauser-1332/media/A-MAP-B-MAPPlasticPipe-C-Metalpipe_zps7ddbcaf5.jpg.html?sort=3&o=42[/img]

Before fitting the new gasket [which will come with the new Thermostat], be sure to clean the mating surfaces and to remove any limescale you may see from the waterways you can reach. Check the top and bottom Rad-hoses too, as they might as well be renewed at this stage, if they're 'on the way out'. They're fairly cheap!
missing-snowman
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 20:22    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Most helpful!

Many thanks Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: