All Wheel Drive Club

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

alternator problem ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamie g

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 17:30    Post subject: alternator problem ? Reply with quote

hi guys ive had no problems starting my car. but today went to get it out of garage under my house. and as soon as i let the glow light go out. i noticed the volts meter was only on about 8. and wouldnt turn over.

now i havent had any problems starting in the weeks before. and the meter on start up always reads about 12. but have noticed over the last couple of weeks when i pick my other half up from work and im on the duel track the volts meter has shot up to 16 !

when it stays around 14 14.5 ? before. has the battery slowly been getting drained. is the alternator done for you think.

car is 3.1 and twin batterys. does the car fire off both batterys. or the passingerside one ?

atb jamie
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 17:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

Aragorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 17:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did it make any attempt to start? Half a "wub"? clicking noises?

My battery guage also drops right down towards 8v with the ignition first turned on. I just assumed it was the glowplugs drawing power.

Once started it comes up to 12vish, and after 5mins running it sits round at about 14v.

Car uses both batteries all the time, including cranking.
jamie g

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to crank over but could tell there dead.

Ive tried again since. And now hearing  a clicking noise from that blue relay under the fuse box. Im going to change that and charges batterys.

then go see a auto electric guy test the batterys. Ive got a feeling the alternator is to blame.
last two weeks ive noticed. The volts are off the scale when the revs are up
Aragorn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volts off the scale sounds like the regulator in the alternator has failed.

Unfortunately it might have damaged the batteries too.

All you can do is try to charge them and see what happens.
jamie g

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the replys. i have batterys on charge hopefully they will get it going again. if not and there duff im going to sell the cars for spares or repair.

had it 6 years and engine never had any problems. i just need something a little newer now anyway. looks like this problem. has just got me to sort a new car quicker.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: