4x4 & MPV Driver - 40% subscription discount

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Possible fuelling or pump issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghodula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 19:55    Post subject: Possible fuelling or pump issue Reply with quote

3.0 2000 Trooper SWB

Drove 1000's of miles from Cornwall to Scotland and back with no issues.

It's been sat for 3 weeks as I burned the brake pads out in the highlands. Started up to bleed brakes, no probs all normal.

After about 3 mins idling it started to run rough for 5 secs then conked out.

Wouldn't restart although sounded like it was almost catching but no banana.
I pulled off the fuel pipe coming from the fuel filter to engine and it looked empty, pulled off the fuel pipe coming from the tank, this was full. Turned on ignition to see if any fuel got pumped from the tank but no, so figure the 3.0 has no pump in the tank?

Couldn't find a primer bulb anywhere so tried hand bulb pump off my boat engine and put it on the line from the tank but can't suck any air or fuel through.

Any ideas?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 19:55    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

eithan h

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

primer should be on top of the fuel filter housing, sounds like the fuel tank is sucking air check the pipe on top of it they usually rot out where it's welded to the top of the tank
Gribble

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tiny silver one way flap in the fuel filter head which can stick open and give what you have .Take the pipes off the filter ,work the primer and see if there is suck n blow . Note the pipes position .

No tank pump on a 3.0 too - your right .
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the 3.0, like the 3.1 has no pump in the tank.

The engine has a pump which sucks fuel up from the tank.

Often the pipes on top of the tank rust thru and this means the pump draws air in, which causes running isssues. I had this problem recently.

With mine, i stuck a gallon can of diesel on the inner wing and ran a pipe from the filter into the can, and it started right up after a bit of cranking. At least that way you can prove if the tanks good or some other issue.
ghodula

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 20:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks guys I'll some more investigating tomorrow!
ghodula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solved this one for any one having similar issues.

Got a hand pump with more suction on the line to the tank and pulled through two pints.

Contaminated fuel Half a pint of water and some lumps of rust! No idea how it got in there, *beep* seal on the cap maybe.
eithan h

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep an eye on the cooling system for diesel contamination could be the start of the injector sleeve seals going
ghodula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bingo!

Drained about 100ml of diesel out the coolant and about 2 litres of coolant out the diesel Shocked

I pulled the injectors and they all look fine, no discolouration although tips were fairly heavily coked up.

Very weird as it ran totally fine for a 15 hour drive back from Aberdeen then bam, tank full of coolant!

With that amount of coolant in the diesel do we think more likely a cracked head?
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

injector sleeve seals lower o ring has gone, so you have to remove the injectors then drain the coolant then using the mystical puller that you will most likely have to make you can then remove the sleeves replace both o rings on each sleeve (genuine seals are best) then refit everything remembering to line up the holes in the sleeve with the holes in the head, job done!
ghodula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez are there any redeeming points to the design of these sodding injectors. I'd say the guy who designed them needs to hunted down stripped naked and humiliated to within an inch of his life Confused my last Trooper died from knackered injectors  Sad

I should quit the day job and start making o rings and retire £35! I paid £500 for the whole car, the injectors alone seem to go for £400 and they are the worst part  Surprised

Izusu may well have just thrown the o rings out at the beginning and gone for the first diesel / steam hybrid car. Probably would have reduced the total cost of ownership for most people!

*rant over* Laughing
eithan h

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

and breathe lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Starting issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: