2Gether Insurance : 01945 585322

Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™
Isuzu Trooper, Rodeo, Bighorn, Mu & VehiCROSS Owners Club

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
CalendarCalendar  ITOCUK Club ShopClub Shop  ITOCUK Classified Ads serviceClassified Ads
ITOCUK HomeITOCUK Home   dynamic online chat serviceChatrooms  Yellow Diamond ClubsYellow Diamond Clubs

Yep, overheating

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallcowsheep

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 15:48    Post subject: Yep, overheating Reply with quote

1995 Trooper 3.1 diesel, really good old bus, great service but this morning while transporting sheep to market in horsebox, it overheated near end of journey, conked out on slip road Junction 10 M20, AA refused to come tho' I'm member, left standing behind horse trailer in rush hour directing traffic round.  Unamused pensioner, that's me.  After 1.5 hours, Highways turned up and it had stood long enough to finally start again.  Went carefully to market, put in loads of water (trickled while engine idled), went home, stopped at service station and put in loads more water, still v near red quarter of gauge.  Crawled home and made it.  Only sign of anything is water marks (rusty) round themostat housing from whence much of the steam was pouring.  It has run a total of 36 miles which I think it wouldn't if the head gasket was kaput so I'm thinking another thermostat?  Should we (by which I mean my husband)   backflush radiator? Check fan? Water spluttering up through radiator cap when filling but I think this was due to the engine being so hot - t'was boiling again by the end of the journey.  Any thoughts v welcome.  And I'd only just had my nails done!!! Sad  Sad
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 15:48    Post subject: Google Ads keep this community free to join!

crusader
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably worth checking the thermostat and gasket before getting involved jn it. Hang it in a kettle and make sure it opens fully just before it boils.
Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth running it without a stat for a week or so, just locally like. Seal the housing up with instant gasket.  - With luck it'll behave normally but over-cool.

Why in the name of hadeas would the AA not do their duty????
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the AA are ar$3h0l3$. I have been stung like that by them.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've (mostly) been an AA member for all the 35 or so years I've been driving. Gave up un them this year because of price  - But to be left stranded?  What reason are they giving for this???
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

At a guess, probably because its a normal domestic policy and they were using the vehicle for commercial purposes, ie full of livestock etc.
Smallcowsheep

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:57    Post subject: Yep overheating Reply with quote

Thank you so much, guys for your advice and support.  The only reason don't suspect gasket is that there is no water in the oil and - apart from simmering - the engine runs as sweet as a nut.  Is it possible to be gasket despite this?  If it is gasket, would I need head skimmed (there's an orderly queue of people who think I need my head skimmed)?  Will do as advised on the thermostat.

Off to write v rude letter to AA.  Reason given for abandoning me was that I had livestock in my trailer.  I didn't want them to tow me (maybe what they thought) I wanted them to look at the f---ing car!!!  In any event, just repeating "Ring the Highways Agency" when I was on borrowed phone and had no number for them was inexcusable.  If they're the fourth Emergency Service, pah!!  I'm 69 yrs old and on my own.  They could at least have sent out a patroleman to see I was ok - or rung the Highways for me.  Thanks goodness, being a Trooper, once it had cooled down, it started again after over an hour and a half.
Aragorn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gasket could have blown between the cylinder and coolant galleries, which wouldnt mix oil and water. So a lack of mixing doesnt guarantee the gasket is fine.
darren m

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Quinn wrote:
Might be worth running it without a stat for a week or so, just locally like. Seal the housing up with instant gasket.  - With luck it'll behave normally but over-cool.

Why in the name of hadeas would the AA not do their duty????

need to ask , why run it with a thermostat , what would that prove / disprove ?
been advised to do this with mine but forgot to ask why- thanks

99 LWB 3.0 TD Citation

2000 LWB 3.0 / 3.1TD Duty conversion
Rhanagar
Lifetime member
Lifetime member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the thermostat is jammed shut it can cause overheating to the extent described. Remove it and run without will allow the coolant to flow through the radiator and keep cool.

Deceased
1994 Isuzu Bighorn LWB Mk.II 3.1TD Auto LS

Matt Quinn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhanagar wrote:
If the thermostat is jammed shut it can cause overheating to the extent described. Remove it and run without will allow the coolant to flow through the radiator and keep cool.

Aye, I've had that happen to me...  Right in the middle of B@@dy Edinburgh in the middle of traffic.  Managed to get up a side street, let it cool a bit, whipped the 'stat' out, gadged a wee drop water and drive home with it barely reaching 1/4 of the way up the dial...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Isuzu Trooper Owners Club UK™ Forum Index -> Cooling system All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: